Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

And then there are the impossible assignments! DS1 came home with a sheet of pictures in black and white. He had to figure out who it was and then their birthdate, where they live, how old they are, etc and write it in Chinese. In class, they figured out 5 of 6, but everyone was stumped on the last one. Here is the photo.

I ended up posting it on Facebook hoping someone would know who it is!
    Kris

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    My son is in 6th grade. Our school has always expected parents to take a very active role in our kids education. Every night when the kids have a homework assignment, the answers are sent home on a folded, stapled sheet. When DS is done with his math I correct it and circle what is wrong. He reworks the problem but we work on the problems together if he doesn't understand why it's wrong. I guess I don't see it as hovering although I guess some could see it that way. I do like knowing that he is grasping the concepts and if it seems he isn't, I can spend more time with him or I can email his teacher to work with him more. The school does expect him to be responsible for writing down and keeping track if his assignments and are teaching self organization.
    Eta- I should add that I do keep a closer eye on DS1 because he is dyslexic and has dysgraphia so I like to make sure he's moving in the right direction. I spend more time with him than I do with 2 of my other kids. I check their math, recheck any mistakes they've reworked, ask if they have remembered to do everything in their assignment notebook, and that's it. I spend the most time with my youngest son because we are still trying to find the right ADHD medication and if it wears off befre his homework is done each night, it's impossible to get him back on task.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like I'm not too far off what most people do. Just how to communicate this to DH without him getting pissed off at me and accusing me of not caring about DS's schooling. I would love it if they would send home all the answers because then DH could check and be happy without doing all the problems himself (only about half of the math answers are in the book). DS is generally smart and got almost all A's the first trimester and has no special needs related to learning, but really doesn't like homework. I don't blame him, I always hated homework too, but I managed to make it through my PhD. I just have a longer view, I guess, and DH is very focused on the here an now. Neither DH nor DS liked it when I said I would ask the math teacher what his recommendation is about homework management. Maybe I will email him anyway to get his thoughts.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 11-19-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    And then there are the impossible assignments! DS1 came home with a sheet of pictures in black and white. He had to figure out who it was and then their birthdate, where they live, how old they are, etc and write it in Chinese. In class, they figured out 5 of 6, but everyone was stumped on the last one. Here is the photo.

No clue who that is!?! Were they famous people? Did anyone on FB know?
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

Who is it??? Could it be the teacher??

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

It's Nina Dobrev. DS's 21 year old cousin knew. Later last night, the teacher put a color version on her webpage and that helped because at least we could verify with Google Images. With the black and white version, we got all sorts of black and white photos as options, like George Washington .

I think she was trying to make it more interesting that just how old are your siblings, parents, etc, and probably thought the kids would know!
    Kris

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nathan is in the advanced 6th grade and unless its a specific problem we don't over see his homework. We have been helping him with data for his science project but he's better at making graphs and charts than I am at this point. Honestly we don't have time to sit and look at his homework each night. He's 12 and we expect it to be done. I log in an check his student portal we also get robo calls about his tests.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This one is tough for me to answer and I guess my feeling is that one size does not fit all. Now that DD is in middle school, we're not checking her homework at all and it feels weird but she is doing well. I know many parents who spend a fair amount of time helping their kids, but that is not going to work for my stubborn, independent kiddo.

But in 3rd-5th grade, parents were asked to check math homework. Every night. This was part of the math differentiation, and it was a great program IMO. We spent a lot of time working with DD on math, and it helped her tremendously up through pre-algebra. I don't really think there's a problem with helping on homework, the extra help has set her up well. Really I think kids can benefit from being taught by their parents, whether it's sports or music or math. To me the problem is not being involved but that there's resentment. We did step back a bit in 5th and check only the odd questions that had answers in the back (DD did not cheat). DH and I shared the load but he definitely did more heavy lifting. Maybe there's a compromise in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    This one is tough for me to answer and I guess my feeling is that one size does not fit all. Now that DD is in middle school, we're not checking her homework at all and it feels weird but she is doing well. I know many parents who spend a fair amount of time helping their kids, but that is not going to work for my stubborn, independent kiddo.
    I agree - because the hands off approach wouldn't work at all for my DS1. He'd end up failing all his classes because he wouldn't do any of the assignments. I struggle with my attitude towards all the hand holding I have to do. My parents did none of the stuff I do. BUT, I was like your daughter - very independent. I was a very good student - my parents never had to track my assignments or homework because I reliably did them. DS1 not so much unfortunately. He's not me though and I have to tell my stuff that it's just brain development lol.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

[QUOTE=JElaineB;4148796] I help him if he asks for help with something specific, but DH sits there practically the whole time with him, then checks each and every problem every night. Apparently DH resents that I don't share in this workload. My take is it is up to the teacher to review the homework (sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't) and DH is doing too much. [QUOTE]

This is my HW philosophy. I already went to school and did HW, I'm not interested in doing any now. If my tween asks for help, I'm there. A lot of help is not needed. If it is common core math, I am no help there -- I have no desire to relearn math in a new way. I refer dd to the lesson in book or write a note to teacher that a particular concept needs to be reviewed. For all HW, I leave it up to teacher to review and correct. I do make sure that HW is started and done. When there is a packet or report, I encourage dd to breakdown the material and plan out how she will complete in allotted time.

So far I found this method successful. One dd is half-way through college and another is headed there in 2 years. I expect it will work out for my tween as well.

I think I would be encouraging DH to pull back involvement at this point.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast