Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thanksgiving!

We are hosting and will have 25 guests. Given our Asian heritage, we add a few Asian dishes to the otherwise traditional menu. DH does most of the cooking (all the mains and some sides) and guests bring some:

- my brother and sister-in-law are bringing a cocktail prawn appetizer and his brother-in-law (whom we invited this year) is making some additional unknown appetizer
    - DH's grandmother always makes inari (a Japanese appetizer which is basically sushi rice stuffed in deep fried tofu pouches)
    - DH's uncle is bringing King's Hawaiian rolls
    - smoked turkey
    - sous vide turkey (DH marinades turkey parts and carves everything in the kitchen so we don't have a traditional whole turkey to carve at the table) This makes the breast meat so moist and tender!
    - prime rib roast
    - cedar plank grilled salmon with a miso glaze
    - homemade sourdough bread stuffing with bacon and various herbs (which DH does not put inside a turkey)
    - DH's mom makes a Chinese sticky rice stuffing with Chinese sausage, shiitake mushrooms, and green onions
    - DH's sister makes a homemade cranberry sauce
    - sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping
    - my mom is making sauteed Chinese string beans and a Taiwanese fried rice vermicelli dish (stir-fried skinny rice noodles)
    - DH's aunt is making dessert (we'll see what she brings this year!)

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    We are hosting and will have 25 guests. Given our Asian heritage, we add a few Asian dishes to the otherwise traditional menu. DH does most of the cooking (all the mains and some sides) and guests bring some:

- my brother and sister-in-law are bringing a cocktail prawn appetizer and his brother-in-law (whom we invited this year) is making some additional unknown appetizer
    - DH's grandmother always makes inari (a Japanese appetizer which is basically sushi rice stuffed in deep fried tofu pouches)
    - DH's uncle is bringing King's Hawaiian rolls
    - smoked turkey
    - sous vide turkey (DH marinades turkey parts and carves everything in the kitchen so we don't have a traditional whole turkey to carve at the table) This makes the breast meat so moist and tender!
    - prime rib roast
    - cedar plank grilled salmon with a miso glaze
    - homemade sourdough bread stuffing with bacon and various herbs (which DH does not put inside a turkey)
    - DH's mom makes a Chinese sticky rice stuffing with Chinese sausage, shiitake mushrooms, and green onions
    - DH's sister makes a homemade cranberry sauce
    - sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping
    - my mom is making sauteed Chinese string beans and a Taiwanese fried rice vermicelli dish (stir-fried skinny rice noodles)
    - DH's aunt is making dessert (we'll see what she brings this year!)
    This all sounds fabulous! I may just have to figure out where you live and crash the party.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    This all sounds fabulous! I may just have to figure out where you live and crash the party.

I was thinking the same thing!! We need your address!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!! We need your address!
    Thanks! I'm very lucky DH is such a great cook and that our family contribute great sides, too. It makes me feel like I can't complain about the massive mess (he cooks, I clean, that's the deal!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3