Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving!

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    Does anyone have a favorite pumpkin pie recipe? Or am i better off picking one up from Costco?
    This is our favorite. I only follow the instructions for the filling. I don't do the pecan and gingersnap business, although I'm sure it's delicious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...kin-pie-102231

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does anyone have a favorite pumpkin pie recipe? Or am i better off picking one up from Costco?
    I made Emeril's "roasted butternut squash pie with pecan crust" once, before stuff like Steen's Cane Syrup was readily available, and it turned out OK. The pumpkin pie-eaters liked it anyway. (I hate pumpkin pie.)

You can sub out a sugar or cheese pumpkin for the butternut squash if you absolutely MUST have pumpkin.

I guess you could also sub in canned puree if you don't want to roast it yourself.

OR ... just pick one up at the store. Frankly, I'd go with a pumpkin cheesecake, but that's due to hating pumpkin pie.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are hosting for group of 12 (our family included). DH loves to cook Thanksgiving dinner. So he's doing the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. Guests are bringing squash, rolls, snacks, wine, soda, cranberries (we all like the canned stuff) and relish tray.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This morning on the Today Show, they showed the "cheesecloth" method for basting a turkey. I still like to stuff my bird, so I'm thinking that this might help keep the meat moist with the extra cooking time. Anyone ever tried this?

http://www.today.com/food/5-stress-f...chapple-t57521

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been making Sheila Lukins' pumpkin pie with crystallized ginger for years, usually with a homemade crust but works great with store-bought as well:

http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/boa...NOV/63313.html

Hands down my favorite recipe.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post
    This morning on the Today Show, they showed the "cheesecloth" method for basting a turkey. I still like to stuff my bird, so I'm thinking that this might help keep the meat moist with the extra cooking time. Anyone ever tried this?

Keep your kitchen well-ventilated because sometimes the cheesecloth smokes & will set off your smoke alarm.

About stuffing the turkey - Michael Symon showed a method on The Chew yesterday that allows you to get the turkey-drippings goodness from stuffing without drying out your turkey. If you've already bought cheesecloth, you can try the linked method!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lovin2shop View Post

I did it last year, following this recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/353184/...t-roast-turkey

I still brine the bird but this put it over the top!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Thanksgiving!

We do Alton Browns turkey and he's anti basting, pro brining. Turkeys have always been moist and flavorful. ETA- we use the Fire and Flavor brine now.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 11-24-2015 at 03:17 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We do Alton Browns turkey and he's anti basting, pro brining. Turkeys have always been moist and flavorful.
    We've been doing Alton Brown's turkey for the past few years and it's always turned out so well. In the past I've cheated and used the Spice Hunter brine (it comes dry, you dump it into a pot, boil it, cool it and DONE) but I couldn't find it this year so I'll probably be making Alton's brine.

In addition, mom is bringing honey-baked ham.

Other sides (pretty traditional) will be corn, roasted green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, cauliflower cheese soup, some sort of bread or rolls, gravy (using turkey fat and drippings. I LOVE THANKSGIVING.

From Costco I will get:
    pumpkin pie (will make whipped cream from scratch)
    kale salad
    fruit
    probably some drinks
    If they have the mixed fancy mushrooms I'm getting those too, so good...
    Last edited by twowhat?; 11-24-2015 at 02:49 PM.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So with all the good reviews posted here, I'm now planning to do the Alton Brown brine & the Martha Stewart butter & wine soaked cheesecloth turkey!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast