lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Let's Talk Blackout/Insulating Drapes

DD's bedroom (which she is FINALLY using full-time) is located over our garage, which means it gets a little chillier than the Master bedroom, at the back of the house, at night.

I am still contemplating drapes for extra insulation, but would prefer blackout or other insulating drapes to keep her room cooler in the summer as well as warmer now that it's cold outside.

Target & Walmart carry the Eclipse brand, which gets mediocre reviews. Target also offers blackout drapes in its Circo line for about the same price point ($15-$25 per panel, depending on length; we're looking at 63" because 84" will be too long.)

IKEA has both blackout curtains and blackout curtain liners, but the full-bore blackout curtains aren't appropriate for her room.

Other than sewing my own, which I have considered (I've measured & done the math, but home decor fabric is EXPENSIVE and that blackout stuff is not cheap either), where should I look for nice quality drapes that will be insulating?

Her room is painted lavender and she has a pink flower IKEA BLOMMA wall lamp. (It's pink with a green cord & switch.)

Her bedding is a mix of IKEA (duvet cover & pillow sham) and Circo, with a lavender & gray quilt from PBK. (It's been discontinued, but the design was BAILEY - it's got woodland animals like foxes and hedgehogs appliqued on a white background with lavender & gray accents.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the Target Eclipse drapes over the honeycomb style blinds in bedrooms. Together the two seem to keep the room warmer than without and there's a definite chill in the mornings when I open everything up. If you don't like the available blackout options you could do a double rod with the blackout liner and your choice of regular drapes on top.

I think I've also seen recs here for the pbk blackout drapes but they were out of my budget and the colors weren't right for what I needed.

Whatever you choose I'd definitely hang the rod a bit high and wide to maximize the light blocking and insulation.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have Eclipse in all kids' rooms, and they are fine. The clip rings we have them hung by make them easy to open and close. I can totally tell a difference cold-wise. I need some for my bedroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm glad to hear the Eclipse ones are fine. I'll have to review my measurements for the drapes I'd planned to sew to confirm that the 63" length will be fine like I think it will; I accounted for a rod hung at least 4" above the window and an extra couple of inches of width to allow a wraparound style of rod.

I was worried after reading a couple of Amazon reviews (they are more expensive on Amazon and don't have the color I'm looking for.)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 11-23-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle