Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Lands End Down Coats

Anyone familiar and use in a cold, sometimes extremely cold, climate? Our beloved LLB ones are of out of stock for the year. Looking at the one that is fleece lined. It's a great deal. Boys walk to school on most days.

My kids have them. I'm in Iowa and it can get really cold here. We've done the squall parkas, which I don't think are too warm, but they are warm enough since my kids are usually running around and I don't let them play outside if it's below zero.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Anyone familiar and use in a cold, sometimes extremely cold, climate? Our beloved LLB ones are of out of stock for the year. Looking at the one that is fleece lined. It's a great deal. Boys walk to school on most days.
    For the Lands end coats, check the temperature rating. Their "warmest" coats are very warm. What will your boys wear under them? Mine will wear fleece sweatshirts, neck gaiters and fleece hats with theirs and go sledding in below zero weather. Mine passed on Spider ski jackets this year because they love the attached wrist- warmer thing ( whatever it's called) in the Lands End jackets. We are in Wisconsin.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 has the Expedition parka and it is awesome. Last winter was freezing and he wore it skiing on nights that were 5 degrees and he was fine.

DS has the Expedition with the Squall bibs. In winter that's his everyday uniform along with Sorels and there have been no issues. He also wears it to ski. Occasionally when it's super cold he might wear something like a sweater or fleece under, but usually he's fine in just a shirt and pants.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I think the LE down is warmer than the Squall and Expedition, but it also depends on your kids, how well they like to layer, and how wet your snow/winter will be. Our schools do recess to -15 degrees, no exceptions, so I like the down coats for those days when its cold, maybe snow on the ground, but dry air. For snowy, wet, skiing/sledding, I often layer them up in a Squall or Expedition coat. Most kids I know do fine without down but my kids sometimes need more. If I had to pick only one coat, for the average kid, I think any LE coat is fine. In a drier climate with a kid who runs cold, I'd go down. With a kid who runs hot or is in wet snow a lot, I'd avoid the down. ETA: We've used both LLB and LE and I can't tell any difference in warmth.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I know that this is not what you are asking at all - but - I have a LE coat and an LL Bean coat. Both are *supposedly* designed to stand up to the same temps. The LE coat is much, much warmer. It's lined with fleece, which I definitely think makes a difference.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think the LE down is warmer than the Squall and Expedition, .
    The Squall and the Down are only rated to -5. The Expedition is rated to -15 and it's waterproof. In terms of warmth they go, least to greatest: Down (only water resistant), Squall (waterproof), Expedition (waterproof). No way I'd buy a non-waterproof down coat for a kid who's young enough to be rolling around in the snow. A wet down coat is a miserable thing to wear.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

My kids wear tshirts every day (yes, short sleeve). I ordered both puffer options from LE (the down parka and the fleece lined primaloft one) and the Gap Puffer (with gap cash, practically free). We have snow coats but for some reason, this kid only wants a puffer style this year. We will see. I will report back.

I agree with others that a wet down coat is awful. The LLB down has been pretty good. I think, like LE, it's downtek.

The LE fleece lined primaloft jacket is a hit. It's cut slimmer than other LE styles. We haven't had any kind of extreme or even bad weather to test it, but I was pleased to see the the sleeves are lined with fleece too. The orange is a cool color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast