ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Favorite cutout sugar cookie recipe?

The girls want to make sugar cookies in Christmas shapes and decorate w/ sprinkles and/or icing. I have yet to find the perfect sugar cookie recipe that I love. I think I try a new one each time! They like fluffy cookies and I want something that is easy to roll out. Last year I tried one that tasted great but it stuck to everything when I rolled it out to cut the shapes, it was so frustrating and took forever!

So what is your fail-proof sugar cookie recipe?

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have one, but I think if you PM bisous she said she had a great one that was easy to work with
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    I don't have one, but I think if you PM bisous she said she had a great one that was easy to work with
    Here's the thread where she posted the recipe. I think I'm gonna give it a try with my kids.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ookie-exchange
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My favorite recipe comes from the BBB from years ago.... I am blanking on who originally posted the recipe. Her recipe is modified slightly from an allrecipes.com one; both are called white velvet cutout cookies. They are a bit like shortbread cookies in taste/texture, super easy to make, roll out and cut out, and not super sweet but very satisfying; excellent for icing and decorating:

white velvet cutouts: modified from allrecipes.com

1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened
    1/2 block (4oz) cream cheese (can use light/neufchatel if you like a less dense cookie)
    1 cup white sugar
    1 egg yolk
    2 1/2 cups white flour
    1 tsp vanilla

cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. add the egg and vanilla and whip until fluffy. fold/stir in the flour. that's it. the real trick is in how you handle the dough from there on out - here's some hints...

it works best if you divide the recipe into 2 or 3 sections, put in baggies and squished flat (cools more evenly) and either refridg for at least 4-5 hours, or freeze for 45 min or so. then, as you're working the dough, treat like a standard cut out dough. but once you've done a roll and cut, you need to ball up and keep re-freezering the scraps to keep it good and cool until right before you're going to roll/cut it again. also, flouring both the working surface and rolling pin and rolling out between 2 dowels so that you get a uniform thickness helps too. try to group your cookies on baking sheets by size since the smaller cutouts will cook faster than the larger ones.

bake at 350 for 12 min. or until edges are just barely starting to brown ( for really large cookie cutters this is more like 13 or 14 min).

Original recipe from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11295/w...elvet-cutouts/
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

wifecat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use the recipe here and it's great for sugar cookies in cutout shapes! http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...sugar-cookies/
    Mama to miracles, dd (3/09), ds (12/10), dd (8/14)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wifecat View Post
    We use the recipe here and it's great for sugar cookies in cutout shapes! http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...sugar-cookies/
    This is essentially my family's recipe as well. My trick is that the butter has to be soft. I have made them with buttered flavored crisco as well and they work fine (like when I forget to take the butter out of the freezer!).
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Bookmarking for my cookie decorating party next weekend!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10110/s...stmas-cookies/

I have been using this one for years after having tried several recipes. This one wins for me because it is easy to work with and produces thicker, soft cookies which stay nice and soft. Be careful not to roll too thin. I use almond extract instead of vanilla which gives the cookies a delicious flavor. Almond is stronger so use less than the amount of vanilla it calls for if you try it with the switch.

Good luck with your cookies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Looks like the recipe I linked is similar to the one posted by wifecat. I like the idea of chilling the dough after rolling it out. Why did I never think of at?!? Genius. Dally uses the same Sugar Cookie Icing that I have used for years. It is perfect. Again, I sub a lesser amount of almond extract for vanilla.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, will give one of these a try next weekend. We did Spritz cookies and Snicker Doodles today, as well as chocolate covered pretzels for gifts and I'm tired! Told them we'd have to save the roll out cookies til another day!