Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Very rude. I have no other words. I wouldn't include these families in next year's party.

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    especially when someone else is footing the bill.
    My understanding from the OP is that they split the bill [since she mentioned them screwing the rest of everyone on costs] which sucks for the OP even more because they were probably expecting to divide the bill by 10 or 11, but with so many people bailing out, everyone who does go is going to have to pay more.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    My understanding from the OP is that they split the bill [since she mentioned them screwing the rest of everyone on costs] which sucks for the OP even more because they were probably expecting to divide the bill by 10 or 11, but with so many people bailing out, everyone who does go is going to have to pay more.
    I missed that. Nevertheless, I am surprised that 1/3 of an invited group can't find something to eat with chicken, rice, salad, fruit, cheese, hummus and pita. I realize it might not be everyone's ideal meal, but there are lots of options.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Oh my gosh, what babies!!! It probably wouldn't be my first choice for food but hey, guess what, the host gets to pick the food. And I would still
    go to the party and I would still eat the food. Because I'm an adult. Not a 4 yr. old child who refuses to eat anything but dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets.
    Yes , this exactly!

Ann

I'm glad I'm not off my rocker. I know the one neighbor is a piece of work and has been for years. It's 2 of the 9 families coming this year throwing the fit.

The date was agreed upon months ago. I agreed to host (after one of the whiny families reneged on hosting) and sent out a note to officially save the date right after Thanksgiving and asking for feedback on a few things - number coming, exact time to eat, age brackets for white elephant and catering suggestions.

Got feedback on everything from everyone and my only catering response/suggestion was "no italian." So I went with what I thought sounded good. Yes, we typically split the catering cost on a per head coming. I sent out the note with the menu and confirmed catering costs 8 days ago. TODAY I get the whiny e-mails backing out. One family is still coming just eating before, but doesn't want to pony up money. The other family is "just coming for dessert and gifts."

The youngest child in this group of two families is 14 but the adults are acting like it.

I think your neighbors are totally obnoxious and ungracious. If someone is willing to host the whole neighborhood in their home, you show up with a smile on your face. You choose to eat - or not - without complaint.

I hope you have fun without them!
    Green Tea, mom to three

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I think your neighbors are totally obnoxious and ungracious. If someone is willing to host the whole neighborhood in their home, you show up with a smile on your face. You choose to eat - or not - without complaint.

I hope you have fun without them!
    ITA. I wish I were your neighbor. I love Greek food. My kids love rice and pita and hummus. I've never had a neighborhood where there were other kidsts or neighborhood gatherings like that. It sounds delightful and they sound like the least neighborly neighbors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    ITA. I wish I were your neighbor. I love Greek food. My kids love rice and pita and hummus. I've never had a neighborhood where there were other kidsts or neighborhood gatherings like that. It sounds delightful and they sound like the least neighborly neighbors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I thought the same thing. It is so rare these days for neighbors to be this close or have these kind of gatherings. It's one meal. Deal with it, especially if you didn't contribute to the suggestions on food. If you were the one who said "no Italian" and then they did Italian anyway, I could see opting out. Otherwise, just.... no. If you want to opt out all together (kids get older, too busy, etc., that kind of thing), you opt out then, too, when the host does the save the date.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am a bit of a picky eater, but I can't imagine declining because of the menu! I happen to love Greek food, so your choices sound delicious to me. But if you were serving steak or seafood, I'd eat beforehand. I'd still go, though!

I wouldn't think that chicken, hummus, and pita would be things that people dislike so much. Take the cheese clumps off your salad, and it's no longer "greek". Sheesh!

Have fun with the families that are coming, and next year, POTLUCK!!! I hate potlucks. Hate, hate, hate! I would rather stick a hot poker in my eye than deal with a potluck, but in your case, it's a necessity. I think your menu is great and not challenging for folks who prefer plain food. If your neighbors are that picky, they need to bring a dish they know their own family will eat. Or make the party dessert only next year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast