Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Usually my Christmas's are like this, but 2 years ago we put a halt to traveling before/during christmas (IL's are a 12 hr drive or 3 hr flight away, and my parents are a 5 hr drive.) My parents swap houses between me and my brother (4 hr flight or 10 hr drive in a different direction!) every other year, so its just our nuclear family this Christmas.

And even with how maddening Famliy is, I feel a bit lonely and not Christmasy. We've been invited to ZERO Christmas parties this year (I was even left off of the group list for my work party, but even if I had I couldn't rearrange an important meeting scheduled long in advance), no family nearby, 2 friends who have friend parties didn't do them this year, kids are tantruming and fighting to no end, and I've got a box full of perfect secret santa and hostess gifts (many homemade like spiced nuts, cookies, jelly, etc), along with a pile of great recipes that are going unused this year. I ask DH for chrismtas eve and day dinner and suggestions and he said "uh...I dunno. Maybe something on the grill? Or a turkey?"

(now I'm going to email this BP post to myself, with a 356 delivery date on it to remind myself of this next year when I'll certinly be dealing with overbooking and over-stressed days!!)

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Simon--I feel for you. I assume this guest is around all day when you are also working from home??? And you can't really drink while you work.... I hope you can shut some door and lock yourself in there with work!!! Can you sic the kids on the guest? That is often a good distraction :-)
    Yes! Ds3 was an hour late to preK, so I was late to start work, because at the last minute said relative didn't want me to leave the house. It was a legitimate need, but still an annoyance. Luckily, I was able to shut myself in with some work after drop-off. It was a short reprieve but long enough that I could clear my urgent work and that helped take my stress level down a few notches.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    This is pretty much a first-world problem but ... DH only asked his BROTHER what said brother's children would like for Christmas.
    That is nuts! My Dh took a few years but has learned to defer all gift related questions to me. Fingers crossed, yours will learn from this!

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    My holiday fun hasn't started yet. I'm getting ready for 5 days visiting the ILs. It's a short stay and DH is making plans to see some friends that live nearby. One is a very good friend, who wants us to stay overnight. I know MIL won't be happy about that, but I am . Even if we don't stay overnight, it will be a long visit. Then there's other friends we need to see before they leave for a trip. So all up, there's probably only 1 day I have to put up with MIL and SIL together. I'm loading up the kindle and will try to keep the snark/eye roll to a minimum.
    Yay for seeing friends and a fully loaded Kindle.
    ;
    Quote Originally Posted by cagey View Post
    (now I'm going to email this BP post to myself, with a 356 delivery date on it to remind myself of this next year when I'll certinly be dealing with overbooking and over-stressed days!!)
    This is very wise!

In the best news ever, my BFF invited us over for a last minute get together so now I have something to look forward to. I love her! This will go far to cheer me up. Relative will come with us but will be on best behavior.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Simon--isn't it amazing how people save their obnoxious selves for family?? Because they can hold it together at a strangers house. And I'm not talking 3 year olds!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lizzy-that would drive me batty!!!!! Arfghhhhh
    On the bright side, DH found out that the nephew will be getting the gaming system, so now we have one thing for each of the nieces and DH wants to give the nephew video games. He's planning to make up the difference for the nieces with Target gift cards. I think.

Either way, I can live with that.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

IL's on the opposite coast put the boys presents in the mail today.... Its ok they are sending them priority. I asked for cash I'm so over being polite with stuff I don't like.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How's Everybody Holding Up? I'll Start!

Shoot me now! Just arrived at my parents. DD1 has an ear infection and fever. She puked the Motrin I tried to give her on the plane. She looks miserable, though was happy swimming for a couple hours today. DD2 won't go the f to sleep. They share a room at my parents, keeping DD1 from needed sleep. Oh and tonight DH appears to have a fever too. So stressed out.

ETA: DH and I were supposed to go away for night on Wednesday. Not looking likely now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom--so far you are winning

JBaxter-my ILs NEVER, NEVER get ANY gifts to us on time. It is like part of the family culture.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

nicci--that is great news that there are friends to go see. What is it with single SILs? I used to help clear dishes at least!!
    SIL isn't single. She's married with 2 kids, she's just lazy!

Now I can vent about my sister. She emailed saying when presents will be delivered, but we will be out of town. She didn't check. I tell her wondering if shipping can be delayed. She then replies that as my ILs are about 5 hours from her, how about she drives there to see us and stays in a hotel so doesn't put my MIL out by having her stay. Ummmm, are you're inviting yourself to my ILs We're only visiting for a few days, it's DH's family's turn for the holidays, the entire family is together for first time in several years for Christmas, and the entire time is already planned. If she had come up with this idea a month ago, it could've worked out, but not on short notice at Christmas. And the presents are still being delivered when we won't be here, so I have to see if a neighbor can collect them for me. Now only if she had planned ahead..but that's not her. I know she misses family at the holidays as her DH isn't close with family and they don't do much at the holidays and she loves Christmas, but she can't crash my ILs visit at the last minute.
    Last edited by niccig; 12-22-2015 at 02:15 AM.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

So my family Christmas went great for the first time in like forever. Yay! Now I get SIL here for a week.
    How are you holding up with SIL and MIL?

So far today, my LG (lovely guest) has brought these gems to my life
    - requests a McDonald's Egg McMuffin for breakfast instead of eating food in our house
    - asks if I am pregnant, because my "belly looks bigger and bigger up higher"
    - whines to have something to do to "help" and once given a task goes off to take a nap instead. Now I will do the task, and later LG will whine that "I would have done it if you had just waited."

I am hoping the nap lasts a few hours.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Can I join? My in-laws are here.

Coffee drops/spills all over my floors. Crumbs everywhere. (ever hear of using a plate?)
    Touch everything – literally, when they arrived, fil came in to the kitchen island and picked up and inspected everything that was on the counter.
    Oh, did I mention they arrived a week early?!! They kept telling us they’d be here after Christmas. Come 12/18, we get a text message telling us they’d arrive 12/19
    Then on 12/20, mil did TWO LOADS of her own laundry. They came straight from their home. Which means, they brought their dirty laundry. Again.
    Baby needed a diaper change… mil sat down to watch me. I literally turned around and said I don’t need an audience to change a diaper. Seriously, who wants to watch a poopy diaper change?
    They are here to see the kids you say? Is that why my kids were in daycare yesterday, today, tomorrow, etc.? No, you must be mistaken. They are here as a bed and breakfast (and dinner). At least yesterday they went and visited friends. Today, they are literally hanging out at my house while I work, DH works, and kids are in daycare. If they really wanted to spend time with the kids, the kids would be home today or with them somewhere other than daycare.

The conversations that are actually monologues. I try to add to the conversation, but they just ignore what I say and keep on talking. And the interrupting…

Taking over my counters (and I don’t have a lot of counter space) with all their stuff, drink carriers from McDs, lids, drink mixes, water bottles, tablet, phone and chargers.

Leaving everything out. Making a sandwich is fine, but put away the bread and condiments. Put your dish in the sink or, better yet, dishwasher. And if you decide to cook something for yourself and not share, please wash the casserole dish. Don’t let it just sit there. And seriously, you are adults. Why do you keep eating the cool whip and my kids’ chocolate spread? That’s just weird.

I have learned over the years that nothing is sacred. My bedroom door is constantly locked. I am in my bedroom working. MIL and FIL are off wandering in my home inspecting cabinet and drawer contents, everything in my pantry, my basement, the contents of the computer/tablets. Basically everything in plain sight and everything put away too. Yes, put away, they will open things up to snoop. UGH. It’s too early to start day drinking, I am working after all.

I did "run and errand" for lunch and picked up some Irish Cream Liquor and will be self medicating tonight.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast