Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

tabeagle--are you effing kidding me??? Bringing their dirty laundry? ewww. I did that in college fer cryin out loud! I think you need to plant some surprises for them to find in their snooping--whatever would mildly upset them. Serves em right.

Simon--oh gads my dad is like that with asking if I need help, I tell him what I need, and he tells me he doesn't want to do that. Then don't ask! MIL will fold DH's laundry. Otherwise she would sit around all day. Then as soon as he came home from work, she would jump up and run around straightening my stuff and brag that she did his laundry etc etc. But, hey, she is peach compared to SIL.

Nicci--what the whuck is up with your sister?????? Who invites themselves to somebody else's FAMILY Christmas???

Last night, SIL and DH were discussing stuff about MIL etc and having a disagreement about when property was sold. I interjected, "would XYZ family member know?"--trying to be helpful. I was shot down with a nasty NO and a look. I left the table to read the paper and watch TV. Their family is waayyyyy more functional than mine was but on the flip side, there are some WEIRD unspoken, unrecognized dynamics that are all left over from childhood and goodness only knows what the heck is going on. The good news is that they stopped bickering and played Apples to Apples with DD and had a great time.

Today was--why did you get a sitter when we are here? Because what were you going to do with the kids? You are just now telling me this--you have ALWAYS left and gone to lunch/the movies so that's what I plan for. sigh.

I have to cut them all some slack. This is the first Xmas with MIL out of her house and I think it has them all on or over the edge. Let it go, let it go...... I actually decided that I would make a list on one side of a piece of paper of all the things I wish would be with this visit. And on the other side, I am going to write what is. And then I am going to tear the paper in half and throw away the "I wish" side and keep the "what is" list as a reminder. And buy more wine tomorrow........
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Reading this thread makes me appreciate the fact that my in laws pretty much ignore my family.

I'm sorry so many of you are dealing with crazy family members!!

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    Shoot me now! Just arrived at my parents. DD1 has an ear infection and fever. She puked the Motrin I tried to give her on the plane. She looks miserable, though was happy swimming for a couple hours today. DD2 won't go the f to sleep. They share a room at my parents, keeping DD1 from needed sleep. Oh and tonight DH appears to have a fever too. So stressed out.

ETA: DH and I were supposed to go away for night on Wednesday. Not looking likely now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope DD1 is feeling better . . . having a sick kid while you are out of town is the pits!

IIRC, your parents are pretty helpful. Do they have or can they get an air mattress so that you can put DD1 on the floor in your room? Or even a sofa in another room?
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

My utmost sympathies to everyone.

I fully plan to join with complaints of my own when the ILs come to town next week.

That's right, MIL, NEXT WEEK.

Stop calling DH every day (ostensibly to see how The Biscuit is doing with our winter break child care arrangements) fishing for an invite to come earlier. You KNOW that four nights is pretty much my limit and you KNOW that we want The Biscuit to spend the majority of his break at a place where he has activities, outside time, healthy meals, and time with other kids. NO WAY is he spending a week or more at the house while FIL watches golf reruns and lets him act out and eat candy before breakfast.
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

OMG Ms B--I shudder every time I hear your ILs are coming--and I don't even live in your house!!!!

MIL brought up the dirty dishes from the TV room today and I thanked her profusely. SIL just giggled like a kid who got away without doing it???? i don't know. But she left her dirty tissue and a toothbrush thingy in her cup. I just said--this stuff goes in the trash, I do NOT throw away other people's personal items. gross.

And--yes--I am actually jealous of people who's family ignore them. Not with MIL--she really is a nice person and so is SIL honestly. It's my dad. I keep having fantasies that he will marry someone and move across the country. sigh...
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    I hope DD1 is feeling better . . . having a sick kid while you are out of town is the pits!

IIRC, your parents are pretty helpful. Do they have or can they get an air mattress so that you can put DD1 on the floor in your room? Or even a sofa in another room?
    Finally, I think we have turned the tide. She seems a bit better but still not appetite. I tried to get DD1 to fall asleep in my bed but she really just wanted her own bed. Two nights ago she just fell asleep in her room while DD2 screamed for 15 minutes. It is an open floor plan with three bedrooms so not a lot of options. Last night, she slept a bit on the couch and then waited for DD2 to fall asleep. At 5 in the morning, DD2 woke up and started pushing DD1, trying to get in bed with her. DD1 came out of her room screaming. I ended up getting in bed with DD1 and got everyone back to sleep...except me. DH seems better so DH and I are going away tonight and leaving the kids with my parents.

I will be thinking of you next week. At least, I like my parents and they try to be helpful and supportive.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was told this morning that our middle niece wants ... BONGO DRUMS.

Really?

So, off to the music shop to buy bongos after DD gets home.

On the bright side, I've finished wrapping ALL of DD's presents from us and we are DONE with her shopping. YAY!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I was told this morning that our middle niece wants ... BONGO DRUMS.

Really?

So, off to the music shop to buy bongos after DD gets home.

On the bright side, I've finished wrapping ALL of DD's presents from us and we are DONE with her shopping. YAY!!!
    Do her parents support that request? If DB sent The Biscuit bongo drums, I would probably have him drawn and quartered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    Do her parents support that request? If DB sent The Biscuit bongo drums, I would probably have him drawn and quartered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Seriously! That seems like a great way to start a family war of loud toys

You know, we have small bongo drums that were DH's and the kids really like them and they aren't THAT loud. So it really isn't a bad present--hard to believe I know.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast