Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hits and Misses, 2015!

Hopefully I didn't already miss the Hits And Misses for the year! Let's hear it. What did your family love? What went over like a lead balloon?

Please remember to add ages/genders as necessary
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Hits:
    DH, age 43: Leaf blower/vacuum with attachment to vacuum right into the yard debris can. Holy cow, he told e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e about this! Best invention EVER! Hope it works well! (It was like $45 at Lowe's, blower sold separately).

DD, age almost-12-but-thinks-she's-20: She opens an Xbox 360. Says, "Oh. It's an Xbox." It was her big present, and she was totally underwhelmed by it. Then, we hooked it up. She's in love. Spent hours playing the Kinect Sports. Like playing so hard she was sweating. Score! Something she can do with her 15yo cousin, my BFF's kids, DH and I, and whoever else comes over. (Bonus points: Bought this at Game Crazy or Game Stop, can't remember. $120 for the unit [model from 2 years ago], $20 for the Kinect, and 4 or 5 games for like $30. Looks new. Works like new. Less than $200 for something DD, DH, and I are all excited about, *and* DD can play it enough to wear herself out! Why in the world did I hold out so long for this?!)

DGSs, 3.5 and 4.5 yo: $8 Nerf guns. Purposely bought the ones that take the "Mega" darts, so they *should* be a little harder to lose. (Haha, I know. I bought their mom and dad a refill of 20, so when they lose the original 4, there's more.) They are still working on the "don't shoot them at people" aspect, but they didn't let those things go all evening. Also a hit: DD made them those "no sew" knot fleece blankets. All 3 boys (1.5, 3.5, and 4.5 yo) loved them! They've had plenty of blankets before, but youngest DGS glommed on to his, and never let it go!

Older DDs (23 and 24) got money, which, of course, was a big hit, as it is every single year.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Default Hits and Misses, 2015!

DS almost 2 hits included fisher price basketball hoop, Melissa & Doug water wow coloring pads, Little People wheelies city skyway, Hotwheels mega car hauler, Green Toys fire truck, and M&D puzzles and pizza set. And he loves squeezing and playing with an empty travel size lotion bottle I had bought for my stocking...

Kindle paperwhite was a huge hit for my mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD (12 in 2 weeks) big hits were a laptop and Beats headphones. Neither of those left her body all day yesterday. She also got a ton of books that she requested and Just Dance Disney 2 for Xbox

DS (7) hits were Lego city police station and Xbox one with a ton of games.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our biggest hits were...

For DD (age 7): cardboard house for 18 inches dolls to color, American girl doll, play school stuff. She also got a necklace from my parents that she loved and a nightstand for her room from them was a big hit too which we were all surprised she liked so much! She set it up with her books and jewelry box right away.

For DS (age 5): anything star wars related! (he got some stars wars legos, small "guys", chewbacca's nerf bow, and books). He also loved an old fashioned baseball pinball game from my parents and some "ice magna tiles" from DH's parents.

For DH: amazon fire stick, new computer bag, some stuff for the garage from my parents (rubbermaid track system and recycling bin cart/organizer).

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD1 (6) hits: Roominate townhouse. She's been building constantly. And she's normally afraid to go "off script" so it's nice that there are minimal instructions. She's making her own things. Also, science kit. She and Grandpa have been having fun with crystals.
    DD2 (3) hits: My little pony play dough set, off-brand magnatile set with wheels. We have 200 regular magnatiles already, but the addition of wheels has opened up all sorts of new play. Books: The Paperbag Princess & How to Babysit a Grandma are both getting requests for repeated readings.
    DH hits: His laptop was barely functioning, so I splurged on a refurbished Macbook Air. He's in heaven. Although I'm the computer-literate one, so I'm stuck transferring files, installing MS Office, etc. But he's happy.
    Me: DH actually got off his duff and got me a few gift certificates for spa services. He's a TERRIBLE gift giver, so this was awesome. In prep for being underwhelmed or getting no gift at all (it has happened, so it is an honest fear), I bought a new MZ Wallace bag on sale, which should be delivered next week. I'm excited for that.
    Overall, this may be the most all-around happy we've all been with gifts. And, other than the computer, which we would have needed to buy this year anyway, we came in under the gift budget we had planned.

DH hits: iPod nano to replace his 2nd generation version, UA ankle socks, iTunes gift card to download music, and a fleece thin sweater from his favorite golf pro shop with logo on it.

DS1 (4.5) bat mobile car, bat bot imagintex robot, imaginetex batcave and a Lego Duplo batcave.

DS2: (2 in few weeks time) hits were his Mickey Mouse fleece blanket, blocks with wheeler car, and race car block set from Melissa and Doug, and few picture felt books.

Me: we usually use Amazon wish list and some years there's genuinely some wants and needs. This year my list is very small as I felt like I didn't need anything since already have, not interested. DH got me new uggs slippers to replace my old ones which was my want, Amazon gift card, and a spa gift card.

Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 (11) and DS2 (7) over the moon for their Legos. The mini bag Star Wars sets especially big hit with them and the nephew (10). All DC and DN loved the Nerf gun and have been battling. DD (almost 5) got the Playmobil camper and has been enjoying too. They are super pumped about the air hockey table grandma bought for them and can't wait for it to be assembled! Hope it is a decent model. No misses so far!
    K

Big hits were the remote control creatures that will take over our house and make us do their bidding: the biggest hit BB8, it was SIL gift, girls love it and we haven't even seen the movie yet; two Zoomer Kitties; a remote control spider that's fricking huge; and those little Zhus pets. I think they're discontinued, because each pet was like $5 each, and all their tricks were super cheap. The girls got enough to start a circus.

Fashion Plates was a huge hit for my crafty DD. HUGE.

"Dragons Love Tacos" and "The Day the Crayons Came Home" hits in the book department.

Misses: Alex Toys scarf knitting kit. I had a feeling this would be a miss, but non-crafty DD has been bugging me to use my knitting stuff. She isn't patient, and is awful at following directions. Luckily, it was a lightning deal for <$10.

Maybes: Ripstiks from other SIL. They like them, but haven't figured out how to use them. Also, the snow scooters from Grandma. It was 70 degrees yesterday...those were the definition of an anti-climax.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hits: for DD2 (5) the crayola window clings maker. Actually, both girls enjoy it, and our neighbor's teenage relatives made some too. Dd2 needed my help yesterday but did it by herself today.

D1 is into the Disney descendants and loves the cd.

Both love the hover wheelie thing Santa brought. Mama loves it too. Dad isn't a fan but he had a trip to the ER already for his wrist, so take it with a grain of salt.

My huge oops was giving DD1 the real American Girl doll I found at the thrift store. It is an actual Pleasant Co. doll, and cost about $1.50. She likes it fine, but DD2 has been fixing her hair, dressing her up, etc etc etc. sigh. I wasnplanning on giving it to DD2, but then our shipment of Santa gifts was delayed, and I had to re-distribute the gifts. It stinks because I doubt I'll ever find another, and there is no way DH will agree to pay full price for one.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast