rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default sound monitor for hard-of-hearing person

I need to find out which monitor has the loudest parent monitor sound for a person who uses a hearing aid. He cannot hear on the vetch safe and sound with the parent monitor volume at 5 (the loudest). TBH I also can't hear the sounds well either. I've set it to vibrate but am curious if there is a better fix.

Rather not go with a video monitor.
    Last edited by rlu; 01-11-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    I need to find out which monitor has the loudest parent monitor sound for a person who uses a hearing aid. He cannot hear on the vetch safe and sound with the parent monitor volume at 5 (the loudest). TBH I also can't hear the sounds well either. I've set it to vibrate but am curious if there is a better fix.

Rather not go with a video monitor.
    Do their hearing aids have Bluetooth? I bet there is a monitor that can send an alert via Bluetooth or some aftermarket fix using that route vs shear volume alone. My DD has bluetooth in her hearing aids and they are 6 yrs old now, so I imagine most adult ones have that option too.

Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    Do their hearing aids have Bluetooth? I bet there is a monitor that can send an alert via Bluetooth or some aftermarket fix using that route vs shear volume alone. My DD has bluetooth in her hearing aids and they are 6 yrs old now, so I imagine most adult ones have that option too.
    I'll ask, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Not very helpful here, but DH & I are hearing aid users with moderate to severe hearing loss. Basically were quite deaf, and find to our experience those monitors usually give static when volume is increased max.

Bluetooth is an option, otherwise without that option I know you said no video monitors but honestly that's what a lot of my deaf friends use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the BRU brand audio monitor gets pretty loud, at least for my taste. I usually keep it at nearly the minimum. How old is the baby? Older babies tend to have louder/stronger cries so the monitor might nto need to be so powerful.

ETA: it looks like the BRU audio monitor is no longer available. This one seems to get pretty good reviews though and it has a visual sound indicator which might help:
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/baby-audi...mer-2-59870176
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Thanks for the additional responses. This is actually an at-home hospice situation. I was there all day yesterday and realized several things - he doesn't wear his hearing aids often at home and she is very soft-spoken now so we made the decision to switch to a video monitor.

Target is clearancing the summer clear sight (it gets bad reviews about its grainy picture on zoom and battery life - I think - but the two-way communication is a key feature for this situation) so I picked up today. The receiver needs to charge overnight but as they are in the same room at night, they just really need something during the day.

Now to find out if Target will take back the first monitor despite use - I haven't read up on their electronics return policy. If not maybe I'll have luck reselling on craigslist. It's really not the main concern right now.

eta: Target took back both monitors no questions asked. The video monitor worked fine, just no longer a need for it.
    Last edited by rlu; 01-21-2016 at 01:11 AM.