Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default deva cup and teenagers and first period supplies

I wonder how many are introducing deva cup to their daughters?

Personally, I have never tried deva cup and since I am at the very end of my cycles (may already be there), do not plan on getting one. If I had several more years of cycles, I would consider trying it -- although emptying it sounds messy and I don't know if I would feel comfortable dealing with it at public restrooms. I don't remember teenager flow, but I think it was significantly less than what I experienced at times as a mature woman.

How difficult do you think it would be for a young teenager to manage a deva cup? How often do you think she will need to empty it per day (will she need to empty it at school?). I assume there will be some leakage when the cup gets full --- is this like the leakage one might experience when a tampon is full, or can a cup that is full 'fall out' and cause a lot of leakage?
    I assume she would wear some type of pad too.

My dd is 11 and I am getting ready to talk to her in more detail about her changing body. We are not "there" yet, but she has started developing in other areas. I plan to get some supplies to be ready.

Does anyone know of free samples or first period kits available?

Thanks!

I've only used the size 2 Diva Cup, so I don't know how much smaller the size 1 cup is, but I'm not planning on getting one for my tween. I remember how awkward it was for me to learn to insert a tampon as a young teen, and the Diva is less straightforward than that.

That said, I personally do like the Diva! I don't think she'd have any trouble with it falling out, the leakage would be similar to a full tampon, if she had any. I personally don't wear a backup pad. I'm guessing she could avoid changing it at school, particularly for the first few cycles which are typically light IIRC.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD won't even wear a tampon, so I don't think she'd go for the Diva. I hate pads and how it interferes with her summer activities, but it's her choice.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think whether or not a young woman would use a cup is similar to whether or not she'd feel comfortable using applicator-less tampons. You've got to be relatively comfortable with the idea of touching yourself. My DDs are much younger, but I'd probably get mine one to try, along with a variety of tampons, etc. I recently bought this cheap one based on a recommendation on this board. It works great. Its a bit more flexible than a Diva, so it might be easier for a young person to insert.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    ... I remember how awkward it was for me to learn to insert a tampon as a young teen, and the Diva is less straightforward than that.

I also remember how much trouble I had with tampons when I was younger as well.

HOWEVER, to address your concerns about starter kits, you used to be able to send away for starter kits from Tampax, Kotex, and Always.

In fact, my first introduction to tampons was through a kit supplied by Tampax who were sponsors of Swim-A-Thon when I was a kid. It had a basic booklet about both your period and illustrations of female anatomy, plus a small container of lube (for practicing insertion when it wasn't your period) and a selection of various Tampax products, ranging from their "Junior" absorbency to the "Super."

I don't use a cup, but would allow your daughter to get comfortable with her body and her period before suggesting something like it. I was an older teen before I finally tried applicator-free tampons, for example, and I find they work so much better for me than applicator ones ever did. HOWEVER, I was anti-applicator-free tampons because my mother used them and anything my mother did was "bad" in my book back then.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD is 12.5, she got her period at age 11, like one month after she turned 11, and it was 3 days before a big swim meet. So she used tampons right from the start (playtex plastic applicator light-which are very hard to find, and the regular size is really the same size almost). I will say, her period is pretty heavy and within a few months she had graduated to super plus tampons on the middle days! I can't stress enough how important it is to start with PLASTIC applicators, yes bad for the environment but this is not the time to be green!!!!

As is typical her cycle is a bit unpredictable, but usually last 6-7 days and I'll tell you that the cost of tampons, panty liners and pads for overnight is staggering!!!!

I have been using a DIVA cup for about 6 years and LOVE IT!

I have talked with DD about trying one and I think she's ready. She is frustrated with tampons needing to be changed frequently and a cup will hold much more. As well, the amount of "period" trash and it's smell is yucky (with the cup there is no trash and no smell!).

I would only introduce the idea of the cup once she is very adept at tampon insertion (and being a cup user myself I can help her with insertion and care etc).

DD used a number of youtube video's with my help as well to use a tampon and by the end of the first period she could do it quickly. She has now taught her friends to use them.

I know there are youtube video's for cup insertion and removal as well.

If you were to suggest it I would suggest you get one too so that you can really understand it, it's one of those things that you have to really experience to "get it".

I would wait until she gets her period and go from there.

I would buy a package of panty liners, a package of pads (avoid really long one's) and maybe a package of Playtex tampons, the one's with the plastic applicator, you'll use them eventually. My DD started with the Kotex Tween one's but they are more expensive because of the pretty wrapper and packaging, we switched awhile ago.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is also averse to using tampons so I will not approach the topic of a cup. I use the Instead cups and I love them. I have a Diva but I could never get it to be comfortable. I also can't imagine messing with a cup at school/locker room. She would be mortified about rinsing it out at school.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dd won't use tampons so I doubt she would even look at this. For that matter, I have resisted tampons, too. I tried a couple of times and failed! I am intrigued by the diva cup but not sure…

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    My DD won't even wear a tampon, so I don't think she'd go for the Diva. I hate pads and how it interferes with her summer activities, but it's her choice.
    My DD was tampon averse until we were on our beach vacation over winter break. It was tampon or not go swimming because she didn't want to be bothered with changing the pads and a wet bathing suit. I actually inserted the tampon for her which isn't that easy to do. I used the Diva cup before I got my mirena and she knows about it but the learning curve is high and she won't use a tampon herself yet so I doubt she will try it any time soon.

It is ridiculous how much pads cost and DD thinks she needs to change it all.the.time which drives me crazy since it really isn't necessary if there isn't much on it. Plus she wears a liner every day. Her period is costing me a fortune!
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    My DD was tampon averse until we were on our beach vacation over winter break. It was tampon or not go swimming because she didn't want to be bothered with changing the pads and a wet bathing suit. I actually inserted the tampon for her which isn't that easy to do. I used the Diva cup before I got my mirena and she knows about it but the learning curve is high and she won't use a tampon herself yet so I doubt she will try it any time soon.

It is ridiculous how much pads cost and DD thinks she needs to change it all.the.time which drives me crazy since it really isn't necessary if there isn't much on it. Plus she wears a liner every day. Her period is costing me a fortune!
    We have a beach house and she still hasn't caved. Grrr! She even opted out when all her friends stayed the weekend and were swimming. She wore shorts over her swimsuit and stayed out of the water. Except for one time she "forgot" and got in the ocean. I was freaking out because it was around the time of all the shark attacks in NC/SC early last summer, which is where we were.

She just says they're uncomfortable. I wonder if she's not putting it in far enough, but she swears she is. I do feel tampons when I wear them, so I guess she has a point. At least she's on the pill, so she doesn't have to worry about panty liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast