NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need advice re: replacing travel car seat

Thanks to recommendations here, I bought an Evenflo Tribute for DGD2 as a lightweight travel seat. It's been very satisfactory but -- after 3 years' use -- my family abandoned it at the airport before the trip home after a last-minute car sickness incident.

Help me figure out what to get to replace it. Here are the stats: DGD2 is 4.5 y.o. but tiny (maybe 37" tall, just hit 30 lbs). At home she rides comfortably in Blvds. For travel, looking for the usual criteria: lightweight, easy to install in a variety of rental cars and on plane, not too expensive. Bonus points if it's reasonably easy to clean...

So, should I look at something like a Maestro that could be used as a harnessed seat until she is big enough to use it as a high back booster? Or is there some reason to prefer another Tribute/whatever for enough longer to make it worth buying?

Thanks! I'm still my family's "car seat grandma," and we rely on BBB'ers' experience and advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late response! Yes, for that kiddo, the Maestro is pretty awesome. If you need a convertible for RF, the Scenera NEXT would be the best bet these days (Walmart Exclusive, but super cheap, super easy to install RF).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Sorry for the late response! Yes, for that kiddo, the Maestro is pretty awesome. If you need a convertible for RF, the Scenera NEXT would be the best bet these days (Walmart Exclusive, but super cheap, super easy to install RF).
    Thanks! Good to know the Maestro is still a good choice. Now to stalk deals.

No need for RF for 4.5 y.o. DGD2: even though she's tiny, she's been FF for a while, which has helped with car sickness. (And no other DGDs coming in the future!)

If you can get it below 63$ (BRU price with a 20% coupon), that's the price to aim for...oh, actually, BRU's having a trade in next month, 25% coupon for any old funky baby gear you bring in (I don't know if it's limited to any one kind, some trade ins are ALL gear, some are just carseats), and they don't raise the price from $79, then that's a steal. Of course there's always Amazon, lol.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    If you can get it below 63$ (BRU price with a 20% coupon), that's the price to aim for...oh, actually, BRU's having a trade in next month, 25% coupon for any old funky baby gear you bring in (I don't know if it's limited to any one kind, some trade ins are ALL gear, some are just carseats), and they don't raise the price from $79, then that's a steal. Of course there's always Amazon, lol.
    Thanks -- BRU trade-in may be the best bet. Since I'd like to order online for out-of-town family, though, I wonder if the 20% coupon can be used online or just in-store.

Interestingly, when I looked at Amazon for Evenflo Maestro, there were a number of listings, with prices varying depending on cover. But, there was a listing at ~$105, flagged "new buckle." Should I assume that this refers to the 2014 buckle recall, not a recent buckle redesign?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kohls has the maestro for $68 so not a screaming deal but would be good if you happen to have any kohl's cash sitting around.
    Last edited by mikala; 01-13-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Default Need advice re: replacing travel car seat

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Kohls has the maestro for $68 so not a screaming deal but would be good if you happen to have any kohl's cash sitting around.
    Thank you!! No Kohl's cash, But I got the one online-only color that was only $49 so the whole thing was $62 including tax and shipping. My family is willing to put up with an uglier color! (It's not that bad...)

And they commented on how I always have such good ideas about gear like this -- they know I get lots of good advice here.

Last edited by NCGrandma; 01-13-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Great deal! Yeah, the buckle improvement seemed to be like a silent recall, they all have new buckles now, have for a long time
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Thank you!! No Kohl's cash, But I got the one online-only color that was only $49 so the whole thing was $62 including tax and shipping. My family is willing to put up with an uglier color! (It's not that bad...)

UPDATE: I ordered it Wednesday evening and delivery was estimated for middle to late next week. Instead, it was delivered today! And the best part: the DOM is 11/15 -- given the obviously discontinued cover, I was afraid it might be an older one. So I'm pretty pleased (and it looks like I got the last one!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Baby Bargains mobile app