Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've come to the conclusion recently that a lot of people are just really, really trusting. They think that a car will definitely stop for them, so they walk without looking. It happens around here all of the time when I'm driving -- cars nosing into traffic when they do not have right away, turn across traffic when there's not enough room/time, etc., all blithely assuming that other cars will slam on their brakes to let them pass. Yesterday, I watched an SUV park itself across two lanes of traffic for an entire light cycle because it pulled into the street assuming someone in the long line of cars in the turning lane would make room for them.

When I was growing up, my dad taught me that it was my job to be aware of my surroundings and keep myself safe. Never, ever, ever count on another car to stop, slow down or actually turn when their turn signal is on. :-) It was good advice.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Yesterday, I watched an SUV park itself across two lanes of traffic for an entire light cycle because it pulled into the street assuming someone in the long line of cars in the turning lane would make room for them.

That's another one of my favorites. I've seen that before too and I just couldn't believe the balls of the driver.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hear you on this and I also hate it when cars drive behind you as you are backing out of a space. I wish people would just slow down in the parking lot. We don't have sensors or cameras on either of our cars.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I think people are more referring to when you are already half way out of the spot, and people walk behind. I have always taught my kids that if you see the white lights in the back of the car, stop and let them back out. Never assume they can see you, and it is just polite to let them go!
    Oh, okay. This makes more sense. Surprisingly this doesn't happen to me all that much. Parking lots make me a complete wreck, both as a pedestrian and as a driver. It is the reason my kids are still in strollers until they are almost five!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Why do people...

I thought of this thread this morning when I was at Whole Foods (hey, I just happened to be low on milk -- nothing to do with the impending snowpocalypse). The parking lot wasn't particularly crazy, but inside the store, it was total bumper cars!! Most people were scanning the shelves while pushing their carts out into 'traffic' without looking. I cut the parents with wiggly toddlers some slack, but the worst offenders were shoppers my age. I barely avoided several collisions, and in return, received glares rather than apologies. Ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I've come to the conclusion recently that a lot of people are just really, really trusting.
    Lol, and see, I've come to the conclusion instead that a lot of people just feel really entitled and are really, really stupid!
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnifer View Post
    Lol, and see, I've come to the conclusion instead that a lot of people just feel really entitled and are really, really stupid!

That's what I was thinking too!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3