Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Pedestrians have the right of way though agree it is frustrating and I pay attention when I'm on foot. Glad for my 360 camera and sensors and don't know how I did without the for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know pedestrians have the right of way, but when I'm reversing backwards and they are walking forwards, they can see me before I see them. I equally hate the cars that zip past you..you can see me more easily, so just stop and wait.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think people are more referring to when you are already half way out of the spot, and people walk behind. I have always taught my kids that if you see the white lights in the back of the car, stop and let them back out. Never assume they can see you, and it is just polite to let them go!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I think people are more referring to when you are already half way out of the spot, and people walk behind. I have always taught my kids that if you see the white lights in the back of the car, stop and let them back out. Never assume they can see you, and it is just polite to let them go!
    Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about!!! When I am already half way out of my spot and people are still walking behind my car, it ticks me off and it's not safe. How about
    showing some common courtesy and just stop walking? Let me finish pulling out and then you can continue walking.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I found this quote online and I totally agree.

"A parking lot is the sort of low-speed environment where courtesy and common sense should dominate, rather than consulting some rule book. Drivers backing up should watch for pedestrians and other cars before shifting into reverse. Both pedestrians and drivers in the aisles should watch out for back-up lights and stop to allow the vehicle to exit the space."
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ha, I love this thread, b/c I was recently wondering if this happened just in my rude little neck of the woods! Both people walking and cars driving by just ignore the car backing out - drives me nuts!!!
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I know pedestrians have the right of way, but when I'm reversing backwards and they are walking forwards, they can see me before I see them. I equally hate the cars that zip past you..you can see me more easily, so just stop and wait.
    Many don't know that though. I'm surprised people do it too, it seems like you would want to be more aware and defensive when walking But glad I have tools to help and just wait for a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happens to me ALL. THE. TIME. Especially at the supermarket. I park way in the back now. ugh.

I live in a small town where the main road goes through a college campus. Our town is also in a popular tourist area, so there are always lots of drivers from out of town. Pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks, and cars have to stop for them. There are signs all over the place saying so, but lots of people don't notice or follow this rule. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen college students stride confidently out into the road without even looking for potential traffic! I know where the crosswalks are, and I know to stop, but even I've had some near misses at night with people dressed in black crossing a dark road. I was LOOKING for pedestrians and didn't see anyone until they were right in front of my car. When they repainted the crosswalks, they actually painted for the students "Stop, watch, and wave" to remind them to make sure drivers see them before they walk directly in front of moving vehicles! Now I get waved at constantly, which can be annoying when you're in a rush and it's taking 20 minutes to drive three blocks, but that's better than the carelessness that used to prevail. It really doesn't matter who legally has the right of way. A pedestrian won't win against a car, so when walking, yield to the vehicle!!! The driver may not see you. Our neighborhood kids all play out on our cul-de-sac, and my rule is that when my kids see a car, they must get to the side of the road, get off any vehicle (bike, scooter), and wave to the driver. Is this overkill? Maybe, but now all the kids in the neighborhood do it. It's just safer not to rely on the wisdom of the driver. Use your own smarts and keep yourself safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Yes!! If I am halfway out of my space why don't the cars just wait. That makes me crazier than the pedestrians!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks, and cars have to stop for them. There are signs all over the place saying so, but lots of people don't notice or follow this rule. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen college students stride confidently out into the road without even looking for potential traffic!
    We have issues here with trail crossings. The people using the trails can't understand the difference between pedestrians IN the crosswalk having the right of way and pedestrians APPROACHING a crosswalk needing to wait for a break in traffic. They just keep walking/jogging in spite of many signs and a switchback gate to keep them from walking straight out into traffic. Then you have the drivers who treat every crossing like a stop sign causing traffic jams and reinforcing to the trail users that they don't need to stop and look both ways before crossing the street.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast