Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ack! DS has outgrown youth size and we need snow boots ASAP!

So the warm winter to date made me forget that DS doesn't have winter boots, and last year he wore the largest (size 6) youth size in Keen. He has a wide foot (currently in a New Balance 7.5W), so brands like Merrell don't work for him. We need them ASAP, so it has to be something like REI or EMS or Amazon.

I'm looking for a low boot, preferably lace up, that he can wear all day at school, and then for romping around with snow pants in the snow.

The last couple years he had a pair of the Keen Brady boots

http://www.rei.com/product/885726/ke...c:cse_PLA_GOOG
    and they were *awesome*. Is my best bet to go for women's boots in Keen? I'm having major sticker shock, but I'll suck it up if that's pretty much it for these between sizes.

Thanks a gazillion!
    Last edited by nabigus; 01-20-2016 at 11:45 AM.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I always look at shoes.com or zappos, and found some decently priced size 8 boots this year for DS. They ship pretty fast! But you will likely have to start looking at mens. I wouldn't go womens if he has wide feet.

Here is the list at Zappos for size 8 mens winter boots

http://www.zappos.com/mens-boots~4A?...so?s=price/asc
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I would think woman's would be too narrow. I have a wide foot and often buy men's sneakers because they are wider.

Are those boots from REI really warm? I want something DS can wear all day, but I don't want hot feet.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Are those boots from REI really warm? I want something DS can wear all day, but I don't want hot feet.
    They're super--I wish they made them in larger sizes. DS wore them all day, every day for the last couple winters. He says they're snuggly but don't make his feet sweaty. They're much more of a waterproof warm sneaker than a true snow boot designed for subzero temperatures.

I have a dumb question about sizing. DS can't wear men's yet--the smallest sizes for Keen men's are a 7, which would be too big. What's the in between?? I wear an 8.5 women's, and he wears probably the equivalent of a women's 8, which would be a men's 6. This in between thing is such a pain!

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area, I was in there last night and they had tons of boots on sale...
    DS 2/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nabigus View Post
    They're super--I wish they made them in larger sizes. DS wore them all day, every day for the last couple winters. He says they're snuggly but don't make his feet sweaty. They're much more of a waterproof warm sneaker than a true snow boot designed for subzero temperatures.

I have a dumb question about sizing. DS can't wear men's yet--the smallest sizes for Keen men's are a 7, which would be too big. What's the in between?? I wear an 8.5 women's, and he wears probably the equivalent of a women's 8, which would be a men's 6. This in between thing is such a pain!
    Men's 6.5 is the same as a boys 6. But, men's generally start at size 7. So a men's 6 is probably a boys 5.5. My DH has very small feet and would wear a men's 6.5, so we buy boys 6 instead and they fit great. If the boys 6 is too small and the men's 7 is too big...I don't know! That's only a .5 size difference, really. How much too big are the men's 7?
    Kris

I think your best bet is to take him into a store and have him measured. You don't have to buy the boots there, but at least you'll have a read on size. I fully grasp the PITA-ness of this! We have to travel a full 30 minutes to get to a store that can measure feet. Maybe there's a sizing thing online. I know they have them for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

I bought an adult shoe sizer on Amazon because DS's feet grow and grow.

Try Sierra Trading Post for boots.

You can do women's boots, In fact, at first they are better. Men's boots are soooooo heavy that womens are better. Last year DS was in a womens 9. This year he is in a mens 11.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS2 has wide feet and I just bought him a pair of men's Columbia boots from zappos. They have wide sizes available. He loves them! Here's a link to the wide boots and it looks like maybe they have some less tall options?

http://www.zappos.com/columbia-boots...columbia+boots
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

duplicate post
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast