Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Need book recommendations for 4th grader

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My DD LOVES the Wings of Fire series. She's in 4th grade but an advanced reader. She just started the 8th one. I think 10 are planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My 4th grader does too!

She also loves the Percy Jackson, Magnus Chase and other Rick Riordan books.

Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Dealing with Dragons is the first book).

Raina Telgemeier, Warriors, Harry Potter series.

She loved Half Magic and the Edward Eager books (although she read those in 2nd/3rd grade - if your fourth grader doesn't know them, they're a lot of fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (+Sequel), The One and Only Ivan, Flora and Ulysses, Wonder, Tuesdays at the Castle.
    DD enjoyed these as well. Along those lines:

Brown Girl Dreaming (DD adored this)

Wollstencraft Detective Agency

Esperanza Rising
    Last edited by citymama; 02-03-2016 at 02:06 AM.

for Sandy Hook

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD in 4th and just started the Hunger Games series. She loves them.

Has she read the Madeline L'engle books from The Wrinkle in Time series? Little less adult.

I started reading Stephen King in 4th grade, the young adult fiction was not as robust back then.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just throwing out some older books. Has she read any of the Anne of Green Gables series? Or any of the Louisa May Alcott books? (Not just Little Women, but An Old Fashioned Girl, Eight Cousins, Under the Lilacs.) Or Hitty: Her First Hundred Years, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, A Little Princess, Secret Garden. The books that we read as kids, basically.

ETA: DS is in fourth and LOVES the Wings of Fire series as well.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My daughter is listening to the Secret Zoo books right now (she's dyslexic, so we use audio books). She's almost to the end of the second one right now and she's really been into them. http://bryanchick.com/#Books
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Just throwing out some older books. Has she read any of the Anne of Green Gables series? Or any of the Louisa May Alcott books? (Not just Little Women, but An Old Fashioned Girl, Eight Cousins, Under the Lilacs.) Or Hitty: Her First Hundred Years, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, A Little Princess, Secret Garden. The books that we read as kids, basically.

ETA: DS is in fourth and LOVES the Wings of Fire series as well.
    DD1 got several of these classics for Christmas. They are the junior novels that you can get at the Target Dollar Spot. We have also read the entire Little House on the Prairie collection together and are now onto the books about her daughter Rose. My girls are in love with these books (and I loved them as a child too!). Another good one we did together as a read aloud but DD1 is now reading herself is Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck. Reminded me of Downton Abby w/ mice

Caddie Woodlawn, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Phantom Tollbooth, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Because of Winn Dixie, Mr. Popper's Penguins.

The "Who Was" series is if she wants to try non-fiction.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    DD is 10, in 4th grade. She reads beyond her grade level, but has recently enjoyed racing through the Cupcake Diary books. She reads about one a day. She can read more challenging books, but these have been fun.
    Both my kids have loved (and also raced through) the Wings of Fire series. I think there are 7 books. Once they got used to the language (I find them hard to read out loud!), they both loved them.
    Also, The School of Good and Evil.
    Check out this list of books. DD has read every one. Most are really good (many have been mentioned above), and it's nice that it shows the grade level:
    https://www.salemstate.edu/assets/im...evel_Guide.pdf

You can also go back and see other years of MCBA recommended books - we use those lists a lot!

There are now 9 Wings of Fire. DD has read them all many, many times.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for this thread - I may check out the Wings of Fire for my DD. She has loved most of these books mentioned on here. Just yesterday my mom sent her the unabridged version of Little Women for her birthday (she had wanted to read it, b/c of the Mother Daughter Bookclub series) and she read it for 2 hours last night.
    I am a big believer of mixing classics with "chick lit" or whatever YA equivalent is. The key is getting kids into books, not necessarily the superior writing of the book IMO.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 4th grader is loving the Amulet series. She is also restarting Harry Potter, still reads from the Whatever After series, and has enjoyed the Alvin Fernald series.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

My 2nd grader is reading Princess Bride. And so I am going to write down many of these titles for when she says what's next. Though she has several of the Tamara Peirce books...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3