Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here is what you need to remember... The I is for Individual. That means that they need to provide what your individual child needs, even if is not one of their standard options. So they have only offered the "as needed" option if declassified... If your individual child needs that while still on an IEP... They need to provide it.

It sounds like you need to approach them with a conversation that says he needs these things to be successful which we know because those are working. Then ask how they are going to provide those in the least restrictive environment.

ETA: Another thought is to ask for something else other than what they have listed as the options. Ask for 2 days a week in resource room, rotated among the classes you listed. I do worry that if you say "as needed", your DS may not want to go. Something less than five days a week may be appropriate and less restrictive, but keep him on an IEP and make sure that he is going. If things start to slide, then you can easily ask for more time. If he does well, maybe trial the "as needed" in the spring semester.

Getting appropriate level of service should not be contingent on you agreeing to drop the IEP.
    Last edited by o_mom; 02-07-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My oldest is a freshman and has an IEP. It was challenging at first because her school, while public, is competitive entry, so they had a "here's what we offer, take it or leave it". However, while the execution was shaky at first, it's actually working better for her than MS, where she had something like the RR every day.

She gets:

1. 2 services hours a week with a special education resource teacher. She meets with her at lunch (which DD is not thrilled about, but she likes the teacher a lot) twice a week. They plan, work through issues, and the teacher provides support as needed. Sometimes it is just a check-in, sometimes they meet the whole time.

2. 3 hours a month of social skills group

3. Accommodations for extended time on homework or tests as needed.

4. The "right" to leave the class as needed when she feels overwhelmed.

She actually does not really need the extended time on tests, but they left that in there in case she wanted to ask for it on the SAT/ACT.

Like I said, this is a bit of a non-traditional school where the kids have a lot of personal freedoms. Which means she is able to seek out help if she needs it vs. having to have it "scheduled" every day.

I would absolutely push back if you think he does not need the resource room every day. I have no doubt that that delivery model is easier for them. But like o_mom said, it is an IEP and they need to be able to come up with something if that does not meet his needs or is interfering in other ways.

My cynical concern would be that they want to de-classify him to make room in the RR for someone else. Because even if he checks in occasionally, that is service hours and the teacher/case manager in that room can only deliver so many service hours per day/week and/or have only so many kids in their official case load.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Here is what you need to remember... The I is for Individual. That means that they need to provide what your individual child needs, even if is not one of their standard options. So they have only offered the "as needed" option if declassified... If your individual child needs that while still on an IEP... They need to provide it.

It sounds like you need to approach them with a conversation that says he needs these things to be successful which we know because those are working. Then ask how they are going to provide those in the least restrictive environment.

ETA: Another thought is to ask for something else other than what they have listed as the options. Ask for 2 days a week in resource room, rotated among the classes you listed. I do worry that if you say "as needed", your DS may not want to go. Something less than five days a week may be appropriate and less restrictive, but keep him on an IEP and make sure that he is going. If things start to slide, then you can easily ask for more time. If he does well, maybe trial the "as needed" in the spring semester.

Getting appropriate level of service should not be contingent on you agreeing to drop the IEP.
    They can't say "this is the only way we do it" and if they do, they're asking for trouble. I know our RR teacher at elementary school sees some students every day but other students 2-3 times. Listen to what options they give, have your own option and you'll probably come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. I think the 2 days as needed is a good compromise. Maybe you start with asking for 3 days, they say something, then compromise to 2 (which is what you think is enough). Then if you DS needs more time, you can call for an amendment IEP to increase time in RR. I would just concentrate on this year then you can see how he's doing and what may need to be changed at the next annual IEP and when goes on to HS.

And keep in mind - you do not have to sign. If you disagree and can't come to an agreement, you do have other avenues to pursue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2