elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If you have teenagers and a pool

We are working on pool designs. I'm trying to design the pool to be fun for both young children and teenagers so it will get lots of use. My DC are younger so I don't really know how teenagers use pools. If you have teens and a pool or if you have just observed teens in your pool, how do they mostly use it? Do they mainly play games, like basketball or volleyball? Do they mostly hang out or mostly swim? Do they hang out more in the deep end or shallow end? Any recommendations of things to include in a pool design?

The teens I know spend a lot of time jumping and diving into the pool and throwing each other around in the water. When they're not jumping and diving, they're usually lounging. They don't spend much time actually swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Check your homeowners I think having a diving board ups the cost. Ours is about 6 ft in the center of the deep end water basketball & volleyball are big here in the middle school group.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Boys and girls may use a pool differently. We have some tweens and teens down the street and the boys still play basketball type games and other ball throwing games. The girls lay on the floaties almost exclusively once they start to mature.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    The teens I know spend a lot of time jumping and diving into the pool and throwing each other around in the water. When they're not jumping and diving, they're usually lounging. They don't spend much time actually swimming.

This exactly! Diving and hanging out in the deep end. I would make sure I had a depth of at least 9 or 10 ft at one end. My DC spend little time in the shallow end, they occasionally play basketball but the majority of the time is spent playing diving games.

Ann

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just have boy tweens swimming so far, but the basketball goal and all the different types of water balls get the most use. From observing the teens at our neighborhood pool, I would say that the kind of pool is the least important part of going to the pool...