acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default If you had multiple high risk pregnancies...

If you had multiple high risk pregnancies, how did you handle the worrying and wondering if the same issues were starting again? As I have mentioned in many posts, my first 2 pregnancies had issues with preterm labor (shortening cervix, some dilation and lots of contractions starting around 26-28 weeks). I am at 18 weeks with this 3rd pregnancy now and just started the weekly progesterone shots at the office and will start weekly cervical length checks at 22ish weeks probably according to my doctor (different OB bc we are in a different city than the last 2).

I am struggling with what is "normal" for a 3rd pregnancy and what might be signs that I am starting to have the same issues again. I have had more backaches and general crampiness with this pregnancy (some GI related I think) and possibly even the start of some Braxton Hicks contractions. I have talked to the dr. about it and they aren't concerned at this point as they said that is very normal for a 3rd pregnancy at this point. But of course, they say to let them know if it gets worse and I know that these same sort of symptoms can also be preterm labor signs. It all sort of comes and goes (sometimes related to eating). I think I notice it less when I am busy, but then I think being too busy also can make me more achy/crampy/tight feeling later in the day. I don't want to be a crazy person or go looking for trouble with this pregnancy where there isn't any yet, but I guess I don't want to miss any early bad signs either! I think part of my worry probably stems from the fact that I know we are approaching the time when I have had past issues. I'm torn between trying to take it easy some to "stave them off" so to speak and just doing my normal stuff until told otherwise (so far I have zero restrictions).

So for those of you who had multiple pregnancies with issues, how did you handle the worry and did you find this kind of thing happening to you?? Was your 2nd or 3rd or 4th more "symptomatic" anyway just bc you had had multiple pregnancies? Any words of advice would be great!!

All of my pregnancies were considered high risk. I've had three pregnancies, and the second ended in miscarriage around 11 weeks. With my first pregnancy, I was considered high risk because I'd had a previous myomectomy to remove a fibroid that had pushed through my uterine wall and was causing a lot of bleeding. Then I developed hyperemesis gravidarum, and I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix. With my last (I currently have s two month old), I was high risk because of those previous factors plus I'd had a C-section AND I am 40. I developed HG again. I also had multiple fibroids and one in particular was being monitored because it was near the placenta. I don't know how to tell you not to worry. I think concentrating on what I could do (eating well when I could, resting before I got tired, etc) helped. I wish you a safe and healthy pregnancy.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks- I think it's probably wishful thinking that there is a magical way not to worry huh?! But you're right, concentrating on what I can do like drinking water, eating well etc could help. I think my biggest wonder is that you read so much about being semi-active being so good for pregnancy and I would like to do that. But then I worry in my case it could bring on trouble....although I haven't been restricted at this point at all and my dr has even mentioned doing some yoga type exercises for back pain. He has also mentioned that some research shows maybe the restrictions hurt more than they help as not being active can be a problem too. I guess I just have too much info and am having trouble sorting it all out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app