Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm in ILLINOIS, I have seen people who have had to leave the nicer facilities when their insurance ran out, if the facility doesn't have any Public aid beds available, yes they have to leave. I would question what you were told. Yes, the variety and level of care at each facility is diverse and as expected, the ones that have a higher percentage of Medicaid/Public Aid residents tend to be much worse. Staffing a LTC facility isn't easy, for the most part you are asking the CNA's to do a very physical job, that is often very nasty (getting all kinds of bodily fluids all over you on a daily basis, toileting residents, doing difficult transfers, etc) and most of them are paid 10/hr. and there are never enough CNA's on the floors.

Definitely your dad needs to finalize the divorce or it could screw up her application for Medicaid.

Sorry to be late in the game to this thread, but if you are still looking for info, just wanted to point out an AARP guide on Medicaid for the elderly (since that is an issue since you said your mother was sick and had limited assets). http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/...ss_revised.pdf

In general, I found the AARP web site very helpful on elder care issues. I am only 41 years old, so something in my mind resists turning to AARP for info, but necessity won out :-)

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Mom2011 View Post
    Sorry to be late in the game to this thread, but if you are still looking for info, just wanted to point out an AARP guide on Medicaid for the elderly (since that is an issue since you said your mother was sick and had limited assets). http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/...ss_revised.pdf

In general, I found the AARP web site very helpful on elder care issues. I am only 41 years old, so something in my mind resists turning to AARP for info, but necessity won out :-)
    Not late at all--we'll probably be having older posts in this forum staying active . I just met with my friend's caregiver--she does mostly short term care for an agency, and sometimes works in nursing homes as a privately paid assistant. I've known her now as an acquaintance for several years. I asked her what I should do, and she said, even the most fancy private nursing facilities she's worked in nearby, where families pay up the nose for care, are abusive places. She said the CNA's are paid very little, are new to the country, and are very, very abusive. She was appalled by what she observed--I won't go into specifics, but it did confirm my fears and what I read in the inspection reports online. I asked what her plans are when she gets too old to care for herself, and she said her and 3 friends have decided they will live together, pay someone privately, and have friends nearby to check in on them.

ETA: I just read my first sentence, and wanted to say, no pun intended!

Quote Originally Posted by rlu View Post
    Start asking everyone you know if they have any btdt experience, including the people at school. The wider the pool, the more likely someone has experience. My mom was at two different rehab places over the last 5 years - one we would rec to people (also where my great-aunt spent her last years) and one we would not (the one that appeared nicer visually).
    I wanted to second this. Get the real scoop from people with direct experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2