bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Good parenting books for tweens/teens?

What have you got? I'd like to know a little more about this stage and what kinds of things are needed for brain development, emotional connection, etc.

TIA!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Haha, I just had a principal's coffee at DS1's middle school today and we had my favorite family therapist as our guest speaker. She gave us this list of books for parenting your middle and high schooler. The first one was already on my wish list!

ETA: I just realized that the last two are geared towards Jewish parents because pretty much everyone in the valley is Jewish lol!
    Last edited by essnce629; 02-16-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you! This is a great source.

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    What have you got? I'd like to know a little more about this stage and what kinds of things are needed for brain development, emotional connection, etc.

TIA!
    You may not be looking for something like this, but I just got "Everything you NEVER wanted your kids to know about SEX (but were afraid they'd ask)" I wish that I had read it a long time ago (it is not just for tween/teen questions).

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've downloaded a couple of those to my Kindle already! Thank you so much for sharing the list!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

ETA: I just realized that the last two are geared towards Jewish parents because pretty much everyone in the valley is Jewish lol!
    I wouldn't say that The Blessing of a Skinned Knee is geared toward Jewish parents at all - it was required reading for the parents at our independent school and there are only two kids that are Jewish in our grade of 140 kids. That book is terrific I think -- though I personally don't think it is geared toward tweens/teens at all. Love that book though, and have read it a few times -- maybe I need to reread it as we near the tween stage.

Getting to Calm (I think is the name) is a great tween book that I read about on here. I haven't finished it, but I find it totally spot on.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I wouldn't say that The Blessing of a Skinned Knee is geared toward Jewish parents at all - it was required reading for the parents at our independent school and there are only two kids that are Jewish in our grade of 140 kids.
    Hmm, well the title says "Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children" so I assumed it was for those familiar with Jewish teachings! I'm not familiar with Jewish teachings so I thought it might not be relevant to me. But maybe I'll check it out now, thanks!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love Wendy Mogel!!! I'm of the Judeo-Christian faith---I often talk about her book. I love her!!! She's often referred to Faber as well when I've heard her speak. Have I mentioned I love her?
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

mattiew is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Middle School Makeover: Improving the Way You and Your Child Experience the Middle School Years by Michelle Icard. I really liked that it explained what was going on with their development (brain included) which helps me be a little more patient : )