Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Tween-appropriate books for an advanced reader?

My 11-y.o. DGD1, in 5th grade, is a voracious reader, now reading at a ‘high school level’ (not sure of specifics) but is definitely not ready for the adult themes etc that are often found in books at her reading level. I’m sure many of you have encountered this challenge and will hopefully have some suggestions.

She devoured the Harry Potter books, and is now reading The Hobbit, so the Lord of the Rings books will be next. She recently read A Wrinkle in Time for school and “hated it” (as did one of her parents – the other loves it… ).

She loves fantasy, magical realism, kid spy books. She's still very much a kid, not into romance or other YA topics like ‘finding yourself’ or drugs or suicide. Doesn't like violence or horror. For example, she LOVED Cornelia Funke's DRAGON RIDER, but couldn't deal with the darkness of the INKHEART series.

So, any suggestions?

Wings of Fire series
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

David Eddings, Belgariad series

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks -- keep the ideas coming!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Baby Bargains mobile app

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Anne of Green Gables was a favorite of mine at that age. Has she read The Chronicles of Narnia? (my brother read those in junior high at some point along with The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jench is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

It gets mixed reviews online, but my DD likes the School of Good & Evil series.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Phantom Tollbooth

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Borrowers

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS is reading at a similar level. He's been reading The Unwanteds Series by Lisa McMann. I've been reading it along with him.

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    My 11-y.o. DGD1, in 5th grade, is a voracious reader, now reading at a ‘high school level’ (not sure of specifics) but is definitely not ready for the adult themes etc that are often found in books at her reading level. I’m sure many of you have encountered this challenge and will hopefully have some suggestions.

She devoured the Harry Potter books, and is now reading The Hobbit, so the Lord of the Rings books will be next. She recently read A Wrinkle in Time for school and “hated it” (as did one of her parents – the other loves it… ).

She loves fantasy, magical realism, kid spy books. She's still very much a kid, not into romance or other YA topics like ‘finding yourself’ or drugs or suicide. Doesn't like violence or horror. For example, she LOVED Cornelia Funke's DRAGON RIDER, but couldn't deal with the darkness of the INKHEART series.

So, any suggestions?
    The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series- not very challenging, but wonderful!; Mysterious Benedict Society; Not sure if Lloyd Alexander books or Guardian of Gahoole series would be too violent; not fantasy, but Carl Hiassen books- Hoot, Chomp etc are good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast