Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post

Look at the residents. Smell the unit. Does it smell at least semi-fresh? Do the residents appear well-cared-for? Of course, it's still going to have a "nursing home" smell, but that doesn't mean the smell of incontinent people running around unchecked. Residents with food on their shirt isn't a huge deal, but residents with clothes that smell dirty is a bigger issue. Do the residents seem to have the same level of needed care that your family member will be provided (ie, do the residents appear to need more/less care than your family member, so that it isn't taking 4 aids to deal with Mr. Jones, leaving your family member with nursing care less time than needed)?
    I was going to respond with this, THE SMELL. I worked as an EMT after college, and some nursing homes were horrible with the poopy smell. Yes, patients are incontinent and there will always be smells. But a good facility will work to keep their patients clean as much as possible.
    mom to Billy 12/07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

THere are several in town, and in the city next door. We started out by asking friends at church, because many of them already live there in some combo of independent living and assisted living or nursing care with their spouse. I found it's important to ask people to elaborate on why they like or dislike a place, because different people have different preferences, and cost is an issue as well.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Check to see if your area has a local American Alzheimer Association chapter. We attended several free workshops that provide good information about facilities and services in our area and helped us prepare for future needs.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope you find some good options and receive good information so you and your family are at peace with the decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2