Thread: Bras

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Red face Bras

My DD is 12 and I think she needs a step up from training bras. Where is the most cost effective place to get them? I'd love to see pics/links if you have them. TIA!!
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Justice

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Justice, or H&M may work as well - most of H&M's are cotton, but sometimes they have a silky fabric like Justice's.

ETA - hmm. if she is ready for real bras, I'd try Ross, Marshalls or TJ Maxx - hopefully she is willing to go and try some on - which I could not finagle in our household.

These look good, comfy and easy to transition to: http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Womens-C.../dp/B00EVLTH58

They were still a bit big in the cup for DD, but she still fits into training bras cup-wise - it's the rib cage that creates issues.

And were $2-3 at Ross. Very doable.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 03-04-2016 at 05:21 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Here's what we did.

Pick a time when you can take her, just her to the store. I see you have a younger son, DO NOT BRING HIM WITH YOU!!!! He will sabotage the whole thing, or at least make her uncomfortable. We went to Kohl's and Justice.

Let her pick place to go afterwards for a treat, DQ for example. This is key to success IMHO!!!!

Try a bunch on.

We got quite a few "real" bras in size 34 A and B at Kohl's, you really have to see what she likes and trying on is about the only way to go.

We also had success at Justice, again trying on is key.

DO you think your child needs an actual cup size? DD1 wore her first bras (these sport bras http://tinyurl.com/zg7uvu9) until 7th grade, then said she needed a real bra. She was a full B at that point. We went to Sears and Penney's, and I looked exclusively at wireless bras with the lightest padding to prevent shape-thru. Penney's had a better selection so I should have just started there. As others said, I limited to those two stores and took no other children. She was not happy trying on the bras, but accepted that it was necessary.

We did look at Justice, but their bras were way too small in cup, plus rather cheaply made. My DD1 is 5'6", 130 pounds maybe, full B cup. Justice does not fit her.

Once we got her some, I started to see one of the styles at other times on sale and bought her two more on my own. IME Kohl's has great selection, but their lingerie section is a mess, with bras and sizes scattered everywhere.

I will provide a link later to the one she has three of.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I let DD wear my Coobie when her shelf bras stopped working and ended up buying her the bra below which is similar and cheaper. I actually bought one for myself when my Coobie started to get stretched out. These bras are definitely junior sizing and run small so we are both wearing the L/XL. I generally wear XS or S in tops. I am not a fan of underwire and neither is DD. I would say she is probably a B cup and I am A. This bra fits both of us! The Coobie doesn't run as small. I think they say the Coobie works for size A to DD. http://www.shopcoobie.com

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-765...sp?color=White
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oy vey! I can't believe I'm asking about bras! It seems it was only yesterday I was complaining about weaning her off the breastmilk. Off to bra shopping we go! I don't think "the girls" are big yet, but she says her friends notice "the headlights" are on if she wears the training bras, so I just need to buckle up and get better bras. The ones that have padding seem to come out in the wash and are a pain to put back in.

Thanks ladies!
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005