Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Reuse crib mattress or buy new?

One of the few things we saved from our first 2 kids was a crib and mattress. We are definitely going to use the crib (non-drop side) again, but are debating about the mattress. It was bought in 2010 and only used for our 2nd child. I forget the brand, but it was the one recommended by Baby Bargains at the time. It has been wrapped in plastic (but not totally sealed) in the basement for 2-3 years since we moved our son to a twin bed. Would you use it again or buy new?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know what the experts say...and I know what I'd do. I would re-use despite what the experts say. I think it'd be fine (and we reused ours).

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thats the way I was leaning, but my husband just reminded me about our 2 basement floods since we have lived here which I forgot about as an added issue. I think that probably settles any question as we can't be certain it stayed completely dry. Hate to spend more money on a mattress (and have no idea how to get rid of the one we have bc I'm sure we can't donate it), but it isn't worth possibly exposing a baby to mold.

That's a bummer but the right choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I was going to say reuse it; we are reusing DD's from 2010 for DS. But then I read your post about the floods...bummer .

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I was going to say reuse it; we are reusing DD's from 2010 for DS. But then I read your post about the floods...bummer .

We will reuse DS's if/when we have a second, but if it had been stored in a basement that got wet I would replace.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Just haul it to the dump, it is the right choice. You certainly can't donate something you wouldn't use yourself and mattresses are not something accepted as donations around here. Storing and six years old would give me pause even without the floods bit the flooding makes it a no brainer.

Hope it was not re-used.

I know this was an old thread (and in this case I would not reuse due to the concerns about mold/flooding) but if that hadn't happened why wouldn't you reuse? What are the concerns? Asking this as DD is currently about to start using DS's old crib mattress and I didn't even give it a second thought til I saw this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngirl View Post
    I know this was an old thread (and in this case I would not reuse due to the concerns about mold/flooding) but if that hadn't happened why wouldn't you reuse? What are the concerns? Asking this as DD is currently about to start using DS's old crib mattress and I didn't even give it a second thought til I saw this post.

Spit up and such can mold instead the mattress, I guess. We reused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast