rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default The Internet Ruined My Life tv series

On syfy of all places. Our MS Principal just had a principal's tea on Social Media and oversharing information and was looking for a program she could bring to the school to discuss with the kids. She knows of one local and will most likely arrange for it (assemblies or in-class worksheets/discussion not sure) for next year. I remembered seeing commercials for this series and have set to DVD. (I emailed the principal this info as well). If appropriate we plan to watch with DS (we'll preview the first episode which airs this week).

I watched the previews for two episodes, the language in #pissolympics is strong, but for middle school ok enough I think for the topic.

http://www.syfy.com/theinternetruinedmylife

Starts tomorrow night - anyone else planning to show their older kids?
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

I have seen the commercials for this program as I watch "The Magicians" on SyFy I was intrigued but I didn't really think about the potential of watching with my son. I will record and preview to see if it's something worthwhile showing him. He hasn't gotten into social media (yet) as he's not allowed (yet), but his peers have.

As a side note, would you mind telling me about the "principal's tea" you mentioned. I wish our private school held programs for parents and I'm trying to get ideas together for a proposal to our principals (have 2 - one for grades 1-6 and one for 7-12). Any info you can pass along would be great!
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Lots of schools have parenting topics presented at a coffee hour or evening with the experts, etc. One school has a parent book club where they read parenting books or education type books and discuss. Internet Safety is a big topic. I have also seen topics like: what is developmentally appropriate for x age range, making friends, the Spirited Child, handling back talk in middle school, drug/alcohol use prevention, etc.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I've never heard of this show. I do wonder about someone who says "The internet ruined my life...so I decided to go on reality TV."
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I've never heard of this show. I do wonder about someone who says "The internet ruined my life...so I decided to go on reality TV."
    I see that but on the other hand, these people are a cautionary tale and if they can make some money legitimately while warning others to not be stupid or to be more savy, more power to them. I don't think syfy hands out big money. Plus, their names and faces are already out there forever on the internet.

Meatball Mommy - both the elementary school and now middle school have "principal teas" either every month or occasionally where the principal hosts an informal meeting with parents to discuss first an agenda (social media was the last one) and then open up to any questions parents may have to throw at her. Furthering the point of her agenda last week, the questions usually start "my kid saw a post/tweet that such and such happened at school..."
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

This is exactly what I wish our school would address! I read all this stuff here, elsewhere online and in books but don't have anyone to discuss this with. Maybe I need to make a separate post in the lounge for ideas. I really feel that our school has dropped the ball on addressing social media especially with the parents. They offer NO programs for the parents alone
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005