Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tampons

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Tampons

My DD just started her period, which unfortunately has coincided with the start of track! I'm really hoping she will try tampons because I think they are so much more comfortable. She's only been wearing pads a few days and she hates them already. I always used Playtex because I don't like cardboard applicators. But I have an IUD and I haven't had a period in about 6 years. Anything new on the market? Do they make tampons smaller than a regular? I tried to find light at target and didn't have any luck. She's bleeding pretty heavily so i think she's going to need regular flow regardless just worried about the size since she has never used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have recently fallen in love with the Playtex sport. I don't know how long it has been out, but I found them maybe a year ago and they are much more comfortable than the Playtex gentle glide that I was using before. I'm not super heavy, so not sure on any of that.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Tampax has lite and slender regular with plastic applicators that's what I started with.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Tampax Pearl. I just found these and I think they're marketed towards the young girls. They're more compact and with a plastic applicator.
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Might want to consider some lubricating jelly as well. I think that made tampon insertion so much easier as a teen!

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

And if she is comfortable with the idea, a cup can be nicer than tampons - it holds more and you don't have to empty it as often (though learning how to empty it in a public restroom takes some practice).

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/menst...u-need-to-know
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I have recently fallen in love with the Playtex sport. I don't know how long it has been out, but I found them maybe a year ago and they are much more comfortable than the Playtex gentle glide that I was using before. I'm not super heavy, so not sure on any of that.
    There was just an article on why women are still getting toxic shock syndrome and Playtex Sport was one of the types that was called out as having a higher risk. More heavy duty I think. For a teen with a first period I wouldn't encourage tampons but try different combos of pads first.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    There was just an article on why women are still getting toxic shock syndrome and Playtex Sport was one of the types that was called out as having a higher risk. More heavy duty I think. For a teen with a first period I wouldn't encourage tampons but try different combos of pads first.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty fanatical about changing mine regularly, but I can see how a teen wouldn't be as diligent.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Kotex has a small, slim tampon.

Try going to the various brands' websites to see it you can get samples for her to try. The Kotex I've gotten were samples but it might've been from a Walmart or Target promo.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post

What should a kid do who is involved in sports where pads just don't work. My 10 year old DD is a competitive swimmer, so she will need to wear tampons during swim practice. I can't imagine a 12 year old learning to deal with a cup. I had a hard time with the diva cup when I was 33.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast