Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Snapchat - ok to say yes to my kids?

My kids have started getting into social media a bit. I am not that into it, but do follow them on instagram, they have private accounts where they only accept people they know (which for DS is about 300 people...100 for DD), and so far seem to be respecting the medium. They also text with friends (DS has a phone, DD has an itouch) and again, harmless so far. DS is also into oovoo which is basically a group facetime chat. All seems fine so far, though it does all make me a little nervous.

DS now really wants to get snapchat. He says everyone has it and it's how everyone communicates. I think it's probably fine, but because I am kind of clueless, and don't care about being on it myself (though I will get on it if he does) I'm unsure. My understanding is that you can post photos and then they disappear, which seems kind of sketchy. I honestly don't think DS will do anything inappropriate now (and I will be following him, though I'll probably hardly ever check).

Anyway, looking for some advice on this. DS is in 6th grade and has an old iphone. Everyone in his grade seems to have a smartphone, so this is not unusual. DD is in 4th grade (she is on the more mature side of things, always has been), and also wants snapchat. She spends most of her time these days doing musicly videos, so not sure if this will translate to snapchat! She does post very cool and artsy and interesting things on her instagram (I hear from other friends who follow her and check more than me!).

Thoughts?
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My older two (11 & 13) have Instagram which I monitor. They are not getting Snapchat. Too much potential for trouble. My best friend is a middle school assistant principal. She does not allow Snapchat for her kids (8th and 6th grade) either.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The problem with Snapchat is that you will not be able to monitor anything they send or receive. It all disappears. It gives kids a false sense of security and some kids are willing to send things they would normally not send. However, the receiver can take a screenshot and send it to anyone, so it isn't really safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I read an article which made me 100% against snapchat. Will try to look it up shortly.

ETA: I will have to cross these bridges when we reach them but we are far from any social media being allowed for my nine year olds. Nor have they asked.
    Last edited by Melaine; 03-24-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Honestly, I am 100% against social media for kids. What PP said, you will not be able to see what they see on snapchat. You will only see if someone has posted on their story but not if something was sent individually.

Quote Originally Posted by jren View Post
    The problem with Snapchat is that you will not be able to monitor anything they send or receive. It all disappears. It gives kids a false sense of security and some kids are willing to send things they would normally not send. However, the receiver can take a screenshot and send it to anyone, so it isn't really safe.

THIS - It's a big NO for me because of it. As in "not while you're a minor" kind of thing. Actually, we are a "no social media for kids" kind of family. DH and I are on FB, but that's it. Some of my DS2's friends (10 years old) are on Instagram and the school had to send home a note to parents about it. Not good (and this is at a Catholic school!).

We had two 18 year old boys living with us last school year (they were from CA and living here for hockey) - even they agreed with our stance. They said to hold off as long as possible. Instagram isn't as bad, but Snapchat especially. For 2 teenage boys to say that about an app, and about social media in general, means a lot.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No snapchat for my kids.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No snap chat allowed here either.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are not a no social media family, and DD, who is 9, does not have any social media accounts yet, but may have some in the future. Regardless, she will not have snapchat.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Default Snapchat - ok to say yes to my kids?

Nope. None. Luckily mine don't even care but many of the middle school social issues seem to revolve around social media stuff according to our school. We will say no as long as possible.
    ETA I saw 300 followers on Instagram and for a sixth grader that would be beyond my comfort level for sure. Even 100 is too much for a kid for me and not the norm in our social circle. Jott is the new "snap chat" too and we say no as well.

Last edited by HannaAddict; 03-24-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast