Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Update post 11: I'm the Goldilocks of menstrual cups!

This is part BP, part ask for advice. I've been attempting to use a menstrual cup since November. I started with the Diva and have that 3 months. But it was way too long and always felt like it was projecting out of my body. I switched to a small Lena after reading up about shorter cups that still have a decent capacity (I have 2 days of heavier flow and then scant the rest of the time). I've now used the Lena for 2 cycles and it's not working for me either. Last month I had a ton of leakage on my heavier days even though the cup was not full and yet was clearly collecting fluid. This month I haven't had as much issue with leakage, but both this and last months I've also had problems with it sitting very low and upon exercising (running) and bowel movements it starting to fall out. When this happened last month I emailed the company wondering if I needed the bigger size. The rep said it was likely user error, that it takes time to get the hang of it, and that I likely didn't have a good seal. Thing is, I hear it pop open and a woosh sound as it seals. I used the Diva successfully, that one just wasn't comfortable. I've tried all sorts of folds and get the same results. I believe I have a lot of prolapsed tissue. I haven't been told this by my GYN, but I can feel it when inserting the cup. TMI, but when I insert the cup it's like it becomes swallowed up by tissue (like pushing something into a mound of dough). I can get it in and out easily, but I'm wondering if that prolapsed tissue, combined with gravity and movement, are pushing it back down to the base of my vagina. I'm definitely inserting it as far up as I can but within minutes it sinks back down. I honestly want a cup to work. When it does work I like it so much better than tampons. But honestly a trip to the bathroom is taking me far too long trying to mess with the darned thing and I've got my fingers up in my stuff way way way more than I'd like or that should be necessary.

Should I try the bigger size Lena (it's got a larger diameter)? Try a different brand? Ditch the cup altogether and go back to tampons? HELP!!

Update in post 11: larger Lena not the answer. What now?
    Last edited by wendibird22; 05-18-2016 at 12:32 PM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Try the Instead cups. I get mine at Walmart. I use one cup per cycle so a box lasts a year. I had so many issues with the Diva that I gave up on it long ago.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have no real input, but tmi I can't have a tampon in while having a bowel movement as it always seems like it is going to come out. Good luck.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have lots to say on this. TMI ahead, but surely we all know that's coming. First I have always had very bad cramps and heavy, long cycle. It's currently 11 out of 26-27 days. My other issue is that I have always had discomfort if not pain during intercourse and found that using tampons just irritated me making the other issue worse. That's been a recurring struggle throughout our marriage. I was told by a midwife (and a doctor agreed later) that I could "never deliver vaginally" because of my unusual anatomy. (it's not a tilted uterus, it's like my canal is at an angle and is also extremely small and tight). After the girls were born (C-section) I started using the diva cup and LOVED it. It was so much more functional, comfortable, convenient and cheaper than tampons and I didn't have the irritation I was having before. Sadly, it did not affect the duration/heaviness/pain of my cycle, but I was able to manage it much more easily. I did find some cycles I couldn't seem to use it. I have had issues with hemorrhoids (Gosh, I just sound like I am a disaster) and sometimes the cup would turn, causing a lot of rectal pressure. It seemed to happen some cycles but others no problem. I assumed my cervix has lower at times? Whatever.
    After DS (another C-section) I tried to use the diva and had the above problem of turning and pain every single time I have tried it since. It's so frustrating!!! My hemorrhoids have been better ever since I got a bidet, but this problem is worse. Is my cervix just different after a second pregnancy? Are my lady parts just the most sensitive in the entire world? Am I just doomed to misery and spending $20 a month on tampons? I'm seriously getting PO'd.

I am very tempted to try this cup.

But it's so expensive! I do have the luna cup but it doesn't seem to be much different from the diva. Maybe I should try cutting the stem, I know folks do that but I never tried it because it worked fine for the first few years. I can wear the instead cups but they don't hold well for me. I've also had leaking for every menstrual solution I have tried but I assume that is because I am so very heavy. This conversation is depressing me.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Melaine, I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling! I mean, getting a cup to work shouldn't be rocket science right?!

I emailed with Lena again and they are sending me the larger size for free. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

But also keep the feedback and ideas coming!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I've also had problems with it sitting very low and upon exercising (running) and bowel movements it starting to fall out.
    I am definitely not an expert on menstrual cups at all, but this part stuck out to me. I wouldn't expect a cup to stay put upon having a bowel movement. My Diva definitely gets pulled lower when I have a BM, to the point that I actually remove it before using the bathroom. I remember the instructions for removal tell you to squat down and push as if you're having a bowel movement, so it would make sense that if you're trying to go #2 with the cup still inserted, it would fall out.

As for the rest of your issues, I'm sorry I can't help you! Do you do Kegels? If you're running and the cup is falling out, it almost sounds as if your vaginal (?) muscles aren't strong enough to keep it in place??? I hope the new Lena size works better for you and that you can find a solution soon!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have to remove mine before a BM, too.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Diva cup never worked for me and I didn't feel like trying another brand. I've been using cloth pads almost exclusively for 11.5 years now.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    I have to remove mine before a BM, too.
    See how does this work if you have a bm in a public bathroom and can't wash the cup before reinserting? This is part of the reason I have never tried a cup because I wouldn't like changing it in a public bathroom. We have one truly private bathroom (two with the men's room......which I have used in a pinch because the womens is full) in my office building, but that would be a pain to rely on that bathroom each week when I was on my period and to use it exclusively to wash out my cup because it has it's own sink.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't wash mine out every time I empty it I just empty it really well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast