Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Have you heard of Knox Box?

And no, I don't mean Dr. Seuss.

We just ordered, so we don't have it yet, but I think it's just brilliant. This is an emergency-access key box that you install outside the house that is accessible by EMT/Police/Fire only. We had the fire department EMT recommend we get one for FIL's house, as we have had six (yes, six) emergency visits in the last year. It is not available everywhere, but I think it's a great idea for medically fragile people. When a call comes in for their address, dispatch will show that there is an access box, and where it is! Anything to get help into the house quickly.

The basic website is: knoxbox.com

http://www.knoxbox.com/store/Knox-Box-3200-Series.cfm Shows if you can get one where you are.

I would start worrying about "abuse of EMS" at that point!! But that's up to your FIL and the local EMS folks. I would be sending the fire department or whoever gets called out a big batch of cookies if I were you!!

And no--they don't like responding to those types of calls. They want to respond to fires, accidents, and big time emergencies. MIL had to call them several times just to lift FIL back into bed after he fell out. We told her she had to start getting night time help.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

NO, this is not abuse of EMS - MIL has wacky out of control diabetes, and is extremely overweight. FIL has a severe heart condition. She keeps going into an unresponsive state because her blood sugar's out of wack, and FIL can't lift/move her. EMS has to transport and admit to stabilize. (I've talked about her on the board before - her sugar has "pinged the meter" the EMS uses for five admits now; and it goes to 800.) The latest call was for FIL's implanted defib was misfiring, and MIL was doing CPR on him.

There has been a hospital admission each time. I don't know what you're considering "those types of calls", but this is not a casual situation. These are not nuisance calls, but life-threatening.

In any case, I thought there might be others out there that this Knox Box would help.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I would start worrying about "abuse of EMS" at that point!! But that's up to your FIL and the local EMS folks. I would be sending the fire department or whoever gets called out a big batch of cookies if I were you!!

And no--they don't like responding to those types of calls. They want to respond to fires, accidents, and big time emergencies. MIL had to call them several times just to lift FIL back into bed after he fell out. We told her she had to start getting night time help.
    They may not like the smaller emergencies, but it is still their job. I know people who have called for severe asthma, seizures, etc. Not "big time" like on TV, but big time to the people who they are happening to!
    Kris

It's abusive in that someone in that situation needs to rethink their living situation. No it's not fake or chargeable. It's probably not the best fit for the persons health needs. I think you are looking at a symptom, vs solving the issue. And going to the ED often will get someone on the frequent flier list. Which means social work gets involved and maybe that's a good thing
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I could see this as a good thing to offer the children of my next door neighbor who lives alone. He does well on his own, but sometimes gets to a point he needs medical help to relieve chest pain. Maybe once/twice a year they keep him, adjust meds, etc. for a few days, but the other 360 days, he's good to live on his own, which is affordable and encourages his independence. I'll mention it to the "children" who themselves are 70, lol.

Oh, it's not available in our area yet.

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I found all the posts in this thread useful.

OP, it is a bit confusing using their website as you have to pick the fire-station closest to the address I guess. Anyway, I like the concept and appreciate you posting it.

Kestrel, with respect, I fear a medical emergency every 2 months is an indication some type of in-home help would be good. I appreciate the costs (btdt) and hope that your family can find a way to keep your family in home with less worry on all your parts.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

My parents had a situation similar to what StantonHyde was alluding to. My stepfather had problems walking due to diabetes, and when he would fall and couldnt get up, my mother would call 911. They came twice, helped my stepfather up, and explained that this was not what 911 was for. They also said that if it happened again, they would transport him to the emergency room. And they kept their word.
    My sister and I live across the country, and my brother is not in quick driving distance, or they would have called us. This was a case where my stepfather didn't want to leave the house, and my mother was in denial about how much care my stepfather really needed.
    After the trip to the emergency room, my stepfather was in a rehab facility for a few months, and my mother realized that she would have to get help. They had home health care until my stepfather died about a year later.

Kestrel, I have no idea if your in-laws qualify for visiting home health care, or what it would cost, but once that started, I felt a lot more comfortable about my parents staying in the house. I understand that every situation is different, though.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Great post, OP! I can see both sides to this as I'm a social worker in my former employment. Saw this all the time. Yes, it isn't casual and life threatening to people like your FIL. But i agree with Stantonhyde, it is not the true spirit of what 911 is for. One time incident, ok. But like you said, flagged down for 6 emergency visits in one year is definately something a family need to evaluate whether their living arrangements is workable.

This is the exact reason why we have home aides, health visits, and the like in place. It's for those exact situations your FIL/MIL is enduring. Not exactly life threatening, but an emergency all the same.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14