Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horrible cramps

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Horrible cramps

I am having surgery for fibroids in late May and just got my period yesterday. The fibroids cause my typically horrible period to be even more terrible. I'm taking 2 Tylenol every 3 hrs and still in significant pain passing clots etc. any suggestions? I plan to call my gyn tomorrow.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Fibroids were a long and painful (physically, emotionally) chapter in my life.

If you can take anti-inflammatory pain killers like Motrin or Advil, I would try those next. I am allergic to NSAIDS so my OB prescribed hydrocodone as my next level up pain killer from Tylenol. I used them judiciously each month for several years before finally becoming and staying pregnant, (took a break after a successful myomemctomy) and then again during pregnancy (with OB supervision) when the new fibroids started to degenerate in my 2nd/3rd trimester. The alternative was to be hospitalized and medicated anyways for the severe pain.

An electric blanket helped a lot during the painful episodes at home. I moved it around as the pain radiated through my lower region and extremities. If you don't have one, throwing a nice heavy regular blanket in the dryer on hot for 10-15 minutes helped too (I did this during pregnancy as I wanted to avoid the EMR associated with electric blankets around the baby). If you have to go out and about, those single use pain belts from Thermacare are great. Don't get the patches, they are too small to be useful. Get the big back pain ones. When I worked and had those heavy flow / high cramp / high clot days I would open and use a new one every day under my clothes or Spanx. They stated pretty hot / warm all day. Could move it around to the source of the pain and I could function at the office. No one could tell I had it on under there.

The myomemctomy surgery was life changing. It will be here soon. Hugs. If you have more questions, I can help.
    DS 2014

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with taking ibuprofen. My OBGYN prescribed it for reducing the amount I bled with each period. Since it's an anti inflammatory it will reduce the bleeding. My doc prescribed following the max dosage possible which I think was 600mg every 6 hours (but I could be completely wrong about that. I just know it was more than directed on the side of the bottle). I was told to start taking it a few days before my period started and while it was going strong.

I I hope you find some relief soon!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm sorry...I agree with switching to ibuprofen if possible, and try heat based pain relief. Thermacare is a great idea (thanks Zukini!). If you're at home, try a rice sock - I love how it can mold around me and is the right size/shape for that type of pain. I'm using one right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes to everything Zukini and Gatorsmom said! I have super heavy periods and at least one fibroid and finally tried the ibuprofen trick for heavy periods last cycle. I took 200mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours when I was awake and my period was dramatically reduced. I was in shock with how well it worked and mad that something so simple could have been helping me over the past 12 years LOL!!!! I don't get cramps any more but I used to and always used heating pads, my microwavable flax pack (like a rice sock), and the Thermacare heat patches (one on my back and one on the front). I get only back pain during my period now and find that heat is the best for that as well.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Hey Hillview, how are you doing? Any update after your fibroid surgery?

I just had a lap and hysteroscopy last week and my doctor ended up removing two tiny fibroids on the outside of my uterus and one bigger penetrating one inside that she said she thinks may have been the source of my heavy periods. Fingers crossed that we both have better periods from here on out. I'm still on high dose progesterone to keep from having a period for another month or so I won't know for a couple more weeks still. My iron has been steadily climbing though. Ferritin was 72 at my pre-op appointment two weeks ago!

H! I am a lot better. Post surgery have had one period of 4 days vs 14!! Still some cramping but nothing like before. I a, going back tomorrow for another blood test. Still not 100% energy but on the mend for sure. Hope your recovery goes well and you start to see improvement!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Oddly my endo pain and heavy bleeding completely stopped after going gluten free. I never have to take any meds for pain now.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    H! I am a lot better. Post surgery have had one period of 4 days vs 14!! Still some cramping but nothing like before. I a, going back tomorrow for another blood test. Still not 100% energy but on the mend for sure. Hope your recovery goes well and you start to see improvement!
    Great update Hillview!!! 4 day period vs 14 sounds like a drastic improvement! Hoping mine will be shorter now too! How many fibroids did they remove and how big were they?

So the polyp they removed and biopsied was 7.0 x 2.7 x 0.4 cm she told me verbally that she removed "a bunch of fibroids" but she didnt say how many or what the size was.

ETA post my iron infusions my ferritin was up to 123 (in May) from 6 in March. I had 4 iron infusions.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast