Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Sorry, that wasn't clear at all! I shouldn't type when I'm upset. Yes, it's what you said. She thought this could replace her Costco Amex, but the point is she is too eager to believe salespeople. She wanted to open an account to save $16, without understanding how the process works, whether this is a good Amex, leave aside she just opened a Macys visa two weeks ago! Why have two Macys cards?

After I posted, I sat her down and explained how I opened store cards when I was young, but my dad got upset with me and explained it's not a good idea. I told her how salesclerks have quotas for new accounts so they are very pushy and make it hard to resist. I even went so far to say that she is going through that process now that I went through at 20, since she is independent for the first time, and it will take time to understand how things work. I also said that my dad taught me about inflated pricing (Kohls, anyone?). I'm not even sure where I learned that but it's possible it was my dad since he was a huge consumer reports fan. That seemed to resonate, more than anything else we have told her, but let's see if she remembers.

This was unplanned. I was going to keep quiet and figure out a plan, but suddenly this came to me.

I'll respond to pps later- that was great advice.
    Have you googled the best/worst cards to have? Even if sites have different outcomes, maybe seeing a few articles (written by someone other than her daughter ) on pros/cons of different cards can generate conversation on what is important longterm and what isn't. I have no idea as my mother is so responsible/skeptical of this type of stuff, but I know "what they say", sadly, can go further than well meaning relatives so trying to come up with ideas for you to use that might help your mom.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you feel like she may be taken advantage of by a scam, this may sound silly but see if you can find TV news specials on scams. That works with my mom and it helped my grandparents!

I love the idea of sitting with a financial planner to come up with a budget. Then she has autonomy to spend as she fits w/in the budget categories. I don't agree with Dave Ramsey on everything but I do think he's on to something when he says no one wants to take advice or help from someone who's butt they powdered

For the credit card, you might suggest to her that she do a credit freeze, if they are available in your state. Having one means no one can check your credit score. In the big picture you set up a credit freeze as a defense against identity theft. On a day to day basis you yourself can't open credit cards willy nilly when out shopping. You might gloss over that detail and focus on the identity theft prevention. We've had one for about 10 years and it's been great, you just unlock it when you need to. And it's kept me from relenting to more than one hard sale on the store card, even though I know I'm missing out on BIIIIIGGGG DEEEAALLLSSS
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also think you should make sure you are able to access all her accounts, are you her POA? Once they have been scammed the scammers sell the info to other scammers so it can get worse. I also think you should check her credit if you can, see if anything funky is going on and periodically check it for her.

Also warn her of the door to door energy experts who try to get you to buy your electricity at a discount etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2