Default What CPR Actually Means for Older People

This is an excellent piece, written by an MD. It is truly in the vein of knowing about all of our options as we age and how we can still provide good care while not "doing everything possible".

https://kvscruggs.wordpress.com/2016...t-you-to-know/
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing this. It's important to have these conversations.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Good article. I just had this discussion with my parents. My dad (80) was in the ED for pneumonia and the lady in the next bed coded. 45 minutes later they finally called it. 92 years old, brought in from the nursing home and the daughter said do everything you can. (not much privacy in the ED obviously) I can imagine flailing on a 92 year old that long. DH is in healthcare and it is amazing the patients they will do surgery on. Good care definitely does not necessarily mean doing everything.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

The 5 Wishes piece is nice. The pastor and my dad had this conversation to an extent with my mom, but too late to effect major changes in her situation.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This was great thanks
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My dad was an oncologist, (cancer), and he always asked his patients what scared them the most about dying and then he did his best to address that fear. (it will hurt, how will my family care for me, etc).

That is so sad about the 92 year old woman. That wasn't for her--that was for her daughter. We just need to change people's perception that they won't feel good unless "everything possible" was done. Why not feel good if you made sure your LO had as little pain as possible or that you got to hold their hand instead of their last moments consisting of being shocked repeatedly? I hope the Baby Boomer generation helps create this conversation because the way many people die in this country needs to change.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    DH is in healthcare and it is amazing the patients they will do surgery on. Good care definitely does not necessarily mean doing everything.
    Yes to this! A thousand times!!! I haven't read the article yet but cannot agree with this statement more. Quality of life is so important to consider and so many people don't!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My friend insisted that his 100 year old mother have surgery! She wanted nothing to do with it but went along for the son's sake. Really there has to be a limit.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    My friend insisted that his 100 year old mother have surgery! She wanted nothing to do with it but went along for the son's sake. Really there has to be a limit.
    I've seen both scenarios re: surgery at advanced ages in my family (but both were the person's own choice). My father had a failed hip fracture repair at age 91, and he turned down the option of a second surgery even though he understood this meant he would be confined to a wheelchair for the remaining 2 years of his life. My grandmother had her SECOND hip fracture repair at age 102 (the first was in her mid-90s) and she not only walked again after much rehab, she lived to be 107. In both cases, the physicians involved supported the patient's wishes (although my g'mother's physicians were astonished by her recovery).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app