Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IEP help

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I would not make the move out of a general ed environment without a diagnosis and evaluation from someone outside the school district. If they are making the recommendation for your child's safety or the safety of his peers, you could agree to the placement for the short term but I would make sure that his long term placement is determined after you have had the chance to pursue outside testing and a diagnosis.

If your child is not struggling academically, it's not surprising that the IEP would not mention academic goals.

The people at the meeting definitely met ahead of time to review the results of testing and decide on what recommendations they would make. That's par for the course. I understand how it made you feel, though, and I'm sorry.

I have never heard of a developmental pediatrician that doesn't work with "autism cases" - if you share your general location here, maybe some of the mamas on this board can give you some leads!
    Agree with all of this. I would not move out of general ed program until dx is made and appropriate accommodations can be sorted.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He needs private OT asap. Can you also add social work services to his IEP? Can you move schools?

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    He needs private OT asap. Can you also add social work services to his IEP? Can you move schools?
    Occupational therapy? What about my post makes you think that?

In regards to the other questions/comments:
    Children's Hospital of Wisconsin specifically declined my request for an appointment because, I don't remember the exact wording, but it essentially stated they don't work with autism cases. On the intake form, I had selected I was concerned about autism. (I also selected that I was concerned about behavior problems). I was really disappointed about this because it's a whole hospital dedicated to children; how can they not study autism/asd, and/or similar behavior issues?!?! (http://www.chw.org/)

My pediatrician also recommended this place so that's where our appointment is with the Pediatric Neurologist. http://www.alexianbrothershealth.org/abbhh

It's just so crazy. The school psychologist thinks he has OCD, the behavioral therapist apparently has him diagnosed as ADHD, the pediatrician specifically said he does not have ADHD, the kindy teacher marked him as high on some Gilliam Barr (sp?) Aspergers spectrum (and I think that's where he might be too, but could very well grow out of it) and the school autism person said he def does not have autism.
    Last edited by tabegle; 04-18-2016 at 03:50 PM.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree. I would not move him out of the general education classroom. If I were you, I would schedule another meeting and specifically request that he be placed in the general education classroom with an aide, in light of his academic strengths. I also agree, that you need a neuropsychologist evaluation ASAP. You need to ask the neuropsych to make specific recommendations in the report and share it with the school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tabegle View Post

It's just so crazy. The school psychologist thinks he has OCD, the behavioral therapist apparently has him diagnosed as ADHD, the pediatrician specifically said he does not have ADHD, the kindy teacher marked him as high on some Gilliam Barr (sp?) Aspergers spectrum (and I think that's where he might be too, but could very well grow out of it) and the school autism person said he def does not have autism.
    So no one in the schools can diagnose him. That's up to a doctor. They can though give him an eligibility "Other Health Impairment" and say he has characteristics of OCD or ADHD or give him an eligibility of Autism saying he has characteristics of Autism. An eligibility is needed for any special education services, but it is not a medical diagnosis. Keep in mind that the school's criteria for autism as set by your state may not be the same as the medical criteria. I have one student that the school said has characteristics of Autism as met the school's criteria but a neuropsych said doesn't have Autism, he has ADHD. It's confusing to say the least, but at least in this student's case, he will get the same school services and same class placement if it's Autism or ADHD. It also comes down to who can make that determination in the school. At my school, only the psych can determine Autism or OHI with characteristics of ADHD etc. Just as I'm the only one that can determine if a child has a Speech Language Impairment (SLI). Doesn't matter what other therapists or the teacher thinks, they don't have the qualifications or license to make that determination. It does all get discussed as a team, feedback is taken from everyone, but no one else can sign off on SLI except for me.

Having an outside evaluation does help, so hopefully you can get that soon. With a diagnosis you should also be able to look into services using your health insurance and our state regional centers also offer services depending on diagnosis. Many of my students who have autism also get services through the regional center.
    Last edited by niccig; 04-18-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Update:
    We had our pediatric neurology appointment today and I feel a lot better. We are going to get a bunch of stuff done over the summer, and I hope, redo a bunch of the IEP.

The dr is recommending a neuro-pysch eval in addition to an EEG (just to rule out silent seizures based on some of ds' behaviors), as well as a change in behavioral therapists. The neuropysch, in the opinion of the dr it took 4 months to get into today, is one of the best in Chicagoland. She'll do a write up and it will have a bunch of recommendations for the IEP, and probably include putting ds back in gen ed with an aide. The dr we saw today really thinks it's all stemming from three areas: anxiety disorder (being the biggest issue), social emotional disorder, and a touch of ADHD/add (I don't remember which). He could have high functioning Autism, but even if he does, the recommended treatment is all the same. The autism may or may not come out in the neuro-pysch eval and there is no harm in having it done. The behavioral therapists change is because ours does"play based therapy" which the dr thinks really only works well for cases of child abuse. I am happy for this recommendation because it kills me every week to pay to see my kid play Trouble, or Sorry, or with play dough.

The EEG and eval will be done asap, but the earliest I can get another appt with the pediatric neurologist is 4.5 months out... after the new school year starts. I'm on a waitlist for any cancellations. If it's not understood, I'm calling back tomorrow to make sure that's understood.

Thanks again all for your thoughts, experiences, and insight!
    Last edited by tabegle; 04-28-2016 at 12:33 AM.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Great update!! Any chance the neurologist can put some of his recommendations in writing. That way you can submit it to the school when you request an aide? Especially since the neuropsychologist appointment will take place after school starts.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When I read your post I thought this kid needs a nueropsych eval..... and the update is that you're on that track!

The dr we saw today really thinks it's all stemming from three areas: anxiety disorder (being the biggest issue), social emotional disorder, and a touch of ADHD/add (I don't remember which). He could have high functioning Autism, but even if he does, the recommended treatment is all the same.
    Sounds a lot like my DD, though she has a social communication disorder instead of social emotional disorder. There are times I wish she had an autism diagnosis. (Not a different disorder or kid! Just a different code for medical insurance billing). Social disorders are not as well known or understood. I get eyerolls instead of sympathy and it's not easy to get therapies approved.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    When I read your post I thought this kid needs a nueropsych eval..... and the update is that you're on that track!

Sounds a lot like my DD, though she has a social communication disorder instead of social emotional disorder. There are times I wish she had an autism diagnosis. (Not a different disorder or kid! Just a different code for medical insurance billing). Social disorders are not as well known or understood. I get eyerolls instead of sympathy and it's not easy to get therapies approved.
    Yeah, I think having an autism DX helps people understand better because it's talked about/heard. Social disorder... I can only imagine my own parents laughing at that and thinking I'm crazy. My parents are old school and tough love approach, not at all how I am raising my kids.

My I ask what you are doing for your daughter?

You're definitely on the right track. DD initially received her IEP because of motor and motor planning delays. Emotional regulation (she shuts down and cries) based on anxiety and sensory input became really evident in the general classroom, so she gets pullouts as well as adaptive PE now. Her teachers have been amazing and we're lucky enough to live in a wealthy school district, so they have done a lot of things to get her the pullouts to help her in a smaller environment, despite no documented educational delays. We have been tremendously lucky in this regard but I believe it is a legitimate approach and if you need help with suggested goals, feel free to PM me.

Developmental delay is a catch all diagnosis that is legitimate through seven years old. DD will turn seven next Feb and the school system will kick off the formal eval at the beginning of next year, so as to home in on specific issues from the perspective of a label that will enable her to receive services moving forward. The other challenge is that I am about 95% certain that she has Sensory Processing Disorder... but that is no longer a DSM diagnosis, so there need to be other ways to get her what she wants. The seizure thing is something we're dealing with as well; I have a genetic form of epilepsy and I also had Childhood Absence Epilepsy. Silent absence seizures do happen and they're hard to catch in an average or above average child, because they look "dreamy."
    Michelle
    Miss E: 2/25/2010
    Baby Noname: EDD 10/10/2016
    Naughty kitties: Leo, Billy, and Dora

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2