trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default ADHD supplements?

DD is newly diagnosed and we still feel like we have no idea what we are doing. I am open to meds if needed, but DH is adamantly opposed. I am waiting to see how things go once she starts school to determine whether or not to bring it up with DH again; or better yet, have her psychologist bring it up. Since I have a few months, I want to try other things. Currently she is on melatonin (rec from the psy) and that's been life changing. I just started her on an omega 3, but I understand that can take a while to see results. I have also been reading about probiotics, zinc, magnesium, vitamins B6 & C. Anyone try these? Any positive results? Anything else I should be looking at? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    DD is newly diagnosed and we still feel like we have no idea what we are doing. I am open to meds if needed, but DH is adamantly opposed. I am waiting to see how things go once she starts school to determine whether or not to bring it up with DH again; or better yet, have her psychologist bring it up. Since I have a few months, I want to try other things. Currently she is on melatonin (rec from the psy) and that's been life changing. I just started her on an omega 3, but I understand that can take a while to see results. I have also been reading about probiotics, zinc, magnesium, vitamins B6 & C. Anyone try these? Any positive results? Anything else I should be looking at? TIA!

Were ADHD meds recommended for your DD? Do you know why your Dh is so against meds? What is he concerned about?

I will ill say that I was nervous about putting my Ds3 on meds when he was diagnosed in September last year. I was afraid it would sap his energy and take away his creativity. But now that we found the right med, it has been wonderfully life changing for him. He is more creative now because he's not constantly distracting himself. He can finish his thoughts without other ideas interrupting him. He can focus and learn and actually incorporate what he has learned into his new ideas. Also now that he's not constantly picking at his siblings they SEEK to play with him versus before they were always telling him to quit bugging him. To people who ask me why I'd put my little big in meds I say, "if he needed glasses would you be encouraging me not to buy him glasses? What is the difference?"

I suspect my oldest DS, who is 12, has a bit of add. But the psychologist who evaluated him said it was probably very slight. He is in therapy and I don't think he needs medication to do well at school and home but if I thought he needed it, I'd get it for him.

Not to scare you but 2 of the psychologists we have recently seen have said that they see many adult patients who needed meds to control their ADHD when they were younger but were never diagnosed. They chose drugs and alcohol to slow down their brains and self medicate. If they had been diagnosed and received medication as children, maybe they wouldn't have turned to drugs and alcohol.

eta- I tried everything under the sun to help ds3. I find that he is at his best when he's well- rested (yes, we rely in melatonin too), he's not hungry (has had a high-protein meal or snack), and it's relatively quiet around him. He doesn't do well with a lot of activity and noise around him. That is guaranteed to set off a tantrum or anth tirade. I haven't found a supplement or vitamin that will help.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-19-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Meds were more presented as "Let's try behavior modification first and see if that helps" DH was not there when I got the dx but has been to one follow up. I think DH is in a little bit of denial. He also doesn't understand how the meds work (not that I am an expert). He is afraid she will be sedated. I agree with your glasses analogy. I am willing to give it the summer and she how she does. But honestly, I am home with her all day and sometimes she drives me crazy. We have another parent meeting with the psy at the end of May and the end of July. If there is no improvement, I am going to bring it up. I think DH might be more receptive if it came from the psy.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    W He can focus and learn and actually incorporate what he has learned into his new ideas. Also now that he's not constantly picking at his siblings they SEEK to play with him versus before they were always telling him to quit bugging him.
    Is he also getting less redirection from you, DH, teachers at school? I think being constantly redirected is a huge blow to self-esteem, especially as the adult loses patience and the child is getting in trouble for something they just can't stop doing. A friend's DS is in 6th grade and he recently asked her if he could go back on the medication as school is just so much easier, he gets his work down and isn't constantly being called out by the teacher for what he's doing wrong.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As a classroom teacher, I once had a parent tell me that she had been so against medication for her son. He was constantly in trouble and wasn't learning to his potential. She finally gave in and put him on medication. After a few days, he came home and said, "I liked me today."

That had such a huge impact on me. Now that DS2 needs meds for his anxiety, we didn't hesitate to try them. After a month or so, one day he said, "I like how my brain works now. I start to get upset and my brain tells me it's not such a big deal."
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

I agree with what everyone else has said. Gatorsmom made a very astute point about a lot of adults seeking illegal drugs/alcohol as a way of self-medicating. It's hard to imagine now, but it's a very real concern. It's also really hard to constantly be the "problem" kid at home/school. It would be really easy to develop a very negative self-image as a result.

I know that meds are scary and they can definitely have some negative side effects, but if your child truly needs them, then they can also be a wonderful blessing. DD hates taking meds, but even she recognizes that they help and that she needs them.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post

question - how are you using the melatonin? just at night?

DS has just been dx with ADHD but we're not exploring meds for this yet, as we're still working to nail down meds for anxiety/ocd - can't do too much at once
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    question - how are you using the melatonin? just at night?

DS has just been dx with ADHD but we're not exploring meds for this yet, as we're still working to nail down meds for anxiety/ocd - can't do too much at once
    She gets melatonin about a half hour before bed.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15