We have a sitter 3X a week in the evenings. She is devoted to DS, and DS adores her. He has stayed overnight at her place twice. At 2.5, he is still being potty trained at day care. He is pretty good at urinating in the toilet and letting someone know beforehand, except when he just wakes up in the morning and after his nap.

Our babysitter has told us we should try to take him to the toilet in the middle of the night, without totally waking him up. Just turn on the light in the bathroom so he will get his aim right, then put a diaper on him again and take him back to bed. She also wants to have him sleep at her place 3 nights in a row, so she can do this with him, so that afterward, he will be uncomfortable with a wet diaper, and will learn to go in the middle of the night by himself.

I am totally uncomfortable with this, so I called my Mom and my sister to ask what they thought. And I am asking all of you too.

I am not convinced that he is totally ready to go all night without diapers, and I don't like rushing a child who isn't ready, within reason. And I'm not convinced that I want a child under 3 wandering around the house while I'm asleep. (I am a light sleeper, so I most likely would hear him, but if I am sick or out late, DH will sleep thru everything.) I also think that he shouldn't spend a lot of time away from us unless it's an emergency, and I don't this qualifies.

I don't think I am an overprotective mother, but if I being silly, just say so.