Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've only had one child who didn't night train when they day trained (all within a few months of turning 2), so I can't figure out why it wouldn't be a good thing to night train too? (Though I'm not sure how you'd do that - mine were just dry at night and we peed first thing in the morning, and if they woke up at night it was b/c they had to pee so we brought them to the bathroom.

But your sitter doesn't need to do it - you can do it for sure. It seems weird she'd offer unless something about your DS peeing in a diaper at night is inconveniencing her.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Default Babysitter wants to potty train DS at night?

Sounds like a bad idea. He's so young. Many kids aren't able to go diaper free until 7+. I don't see the problem with wearing a diaper at night. I always waited until my kids were dry 10 days or so at night before switching them to underwear. Unless you like doing lots of laundry, I'd wait until he was ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Thanks everyone, for all your info, and for helping me regain my confidence. As 123LuckyMom said, it is a method that is used, and under the right circumstances with the right child, it could be useful. But I am not convinced my child is right for this, since he has only been using the potty regularly for a few weeks, and occasionally still doesn't want to for me and my husband. DH says the sitter is trying to impress us, but that isn't how I see it.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another vote for no. He seems really young and I'm uncomfortable with unnecessary overnights with a babysitter. It seems like a solution looking for a problem that diesnt exist yet. I'd also be concerned it could weaken their relationship, make him resist going to her and you could lose a good sitter out of the deal.

Fwiw I'm in the camp of some kids are biologically ready to stay dry through the night at different ages. One of my kids night trained at the same time he day trained and just refused to put on a diaper at night and we were done. No accidents, no training really. My other child day trained much much easier but was in pull ups at night for several months. The second child drinks more water during the day and seems to sleep more deeply at night. We tried a dream pee but it just didn't work well for him and he just needed to grow a bit before the pull ups stayed dry on their own.

Personally, I would NEVER get my 2 year old out of bed in the middle of the night unless the house was on fire or we had to go catch an early morning airplane! He sleeps very well, but if you touch him he is wide awake and may or may not decide to go back to sleep. Sleep (for both him and us) is much more important to me than going diaper free at night.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Personally, I would NEVER get my 2 year old out of bed in the middle of the night unless the house was on fire or we had to go catch an early morning airplane! He sleeps very well, but if you touch him he is wide awake and may or may not decide to go back to sleep. Sleep (for both him and us) is much more important to me than going diaper free at night.
    This is me too! DS is still in diapers at night and waking him up in the middle of the night would be a total disaster. Also, I have my doubts it would really work in 3 nights and then you would have to get yourself and him up in the middle of the night to continue the training.
    Why does she care anyway, is my question?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Nope not worth it. Let him day train and eventually he will be night trained. He is very young. The having him sleep at her place to train is nuts.
    :yeah that: He doesn't sound completely day trained yet. The wake up method I would use when older, but not 2.5 and newly potty trained.

This sounds totally strange to me and I would never do this and I would never want a sitter to do this to my child. And at 2 and a half, he is early for boys to potty train in general and I wouldn't push it. If he's doing fine and not stressed out with day time potty training, that is great. But I wouldn't even wake up an older child for this plan. And no way would I let me small toddler go to a sitter's house overnight for potty training. All sorts of weird alarm bells go off for me with this. Even if she only means to do this it still seems unnecessary and not healthy, you are his mom. He is only 2 and half, why on earth does he need to be trained like this. Listen to your gut instinct which says "NO!" and don't ignore or override it. You thought it sounded odd and not a a good idea and you were right. He's doing fine, just let him mature. Hang in there and trust your instincts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: I told DH I was uncomfortable, and he agreed that this is not something we wanted, but mostly because he doesn't want to get up in the middle of the night to potty train. We told the babysitter we did not want this, and so far, things are fine.

Most vacation day care situations want children potty trained, and they normally start at 3, so I understand pushing children a little. This went beyond that though.
    I am not sure if our sitter really believes he is ready, or she wants extra $.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2