Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plateau

Default Plateau

I've been on a large scale weight loss mission since November. I wanted to post this here, instead of fitness forum to get more traffic.

I'm frustrated right now. Last November I decided to lose weight and just become more fitter & stronger. It was a daunting goal, as I wanted to shed about 50-55 pounds. To date, I've managed to lose 25 pounds & keeping it OFF too. But now I'm just feeling dang tired and hitting the wall lately. But I don't want to fall back and lose all the effort and hard work!

What have you done as far figuring out how to keep going? One thing I can say is my energy levels is much better now that my anemia issue is being addressed. Still a work in progress.

When I'm like this mentally now, I find myself falling back on my bad habits like sneaking in sweet stuff or eating more bread than usual. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Plateaus suck! I think you'll need to tweak something. Have you tried changing the type of exercise you do or the timing? Do you do any work with weights? Try putting on some muscle and making your body work harder by changing the type of exercise you're doing or making your current form more intense. With diet, you might try tweaking, too. You could do a serious cut of sugar for a couple of weeks by cutting out dairy, fruit, and classic carbs. It'll stop your cravings for sweets, and you'll definitely drop weight. You just have to be careful with reintroducing things so you don't regain.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How about taking advantage of the nicer weather? I've been out waking on my lunch break and it's lovely to see the sun.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What are your current routines?

Default Plateau

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Plateaus suck! I think you'll need to tweak something. Have you tried changing the type of exercise you do or the timing? Do you do any work with weights? Try putting on some muscle and making your body work harder by changing the type of exercise you're doing or making your current form more intense. With diet, you might try tweaking, too. You could do a serious cut of sugar for a couple of weeks by cutting out dairy, fruit, and classic carbs. It'll stop your cravings for sweets, and you'll definitely drop weight. You just have to be careful with reintroducing things so you don't regain.

I haven't done any work with weights. Perhaps it's time to change that up by mixing it in?? I've no idea where to start or how though. Honestly, for me the consistent way of losing weight (usually within 5-15 pounds) is just by increasing my frequency along with changes to my diet. Now that I'm getting older (pushing 40!) it seems to me that to have any serious effect on the last 25 pounds and keeping it all off is long term diet changes. I'm a firm believer the battle weight is more of higher percentage to working out.

[QUOTE=SnuggleBuggles;4184953]

What are your current routines?

Usually run 3-4 mile every morning (5x a week), spinning classes 2x a week and swimming once weekly. (50 laps)
    Last edited by DualvansMommy; 04-22-2016 at 11:02 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Weights are the best! What classes does your gym offer? My favorite is Body Pump or Group Power (same class format, different brand). Low weights, lots of reps, fun choreography. You could also try a few training sessions if you're brand new at weights so you can get guidance on form. Ask for a few routines so you can mix and match. I was in my best shape back when j was doing weights 3-4 days/ week and only light cardio (nothing special with diet).

Weights really are the best! If you put on some more muscle, the weight will drop off. (Don't go by the scale, though, because muscle is heavier than fat. Go by clothes fitting, how you feel, how you look.) If you do a spin class, see if that gym has personal trainers. You only need two sessions to have someone work up a routine for you and show you how to do the lifting safely. You can easily get a routine off the internet, but it's always a good idea to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Weights really are the best! If you put on some more muscle, the weight will drop off. (Don't go by the scale, though, because muscle is heavier than fat. Go by clothes fitting, how you feel, how you look.) If you do a spin class, see if that gym has personal trainers. You only need two sessions to have someone work up a routine for you and show you how to do the lifting safely. You can easily get a routine off the internet, but it's always a good idea to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

I'll look into what my gym does. It's a very comprehensive gym, so I'm sure they have training sessions!

One thing that I am mildly interested in; something you mentioned up thread about getting rid of all sugars and refined sugars. Can you tell me more about that?

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I'll look into what my gym does. It's a very comprehensive gym, so I'm sure they have training sessions!

One thing that I am mildly interested in; something you mentioned up thread about getting rid of all sugars and refined sugars. Can you tell me more about that?
    Sure! We're all pretty addicted to sugars, because we eat so much of them. One way to reduce cravings for sweet is to rid your diet of excess sugars for a couple of weeks. You can do that by cutting everything you would classicly describe as a carb (pasta, rice, bread, crackers) as well as fruit. It also helps to cut down on dairy. Err with dairy toward small portions, high fat, and the harder the better, so a full fat cheese would be a much better choice than skim milk, for example. You want to focus on healthy proteins like fish, chicken, legumes, nuts, eggs. Also, cut any juice or alcohol. Eat lots of veggies, but cut out those highest on the GI scale like potatoes, peas, corn, and watch out for sugary salad dressings or other condiments. This is just for two weeks, though! It's not good to cut all these things out forever! After two weeks, you add back in whole fruits, complex carbs in limited portions (so brown rice, whole wheat pasta), and occasional starchy veggies. Keep your dairy high fat, even for milk. The two week diet will not be fun, but it will definitely help you shed pounds and will reduce or eliminate cravings for sweet. When you put things back in, do it slowly so you can see how those foods change the way you feel. I don't do well with pasta and breads no matter how whole-grainy they are. I have to really limit those! When I eat a pasta meal, I feel tired and lazy, not energized. That's how I know it's not working for me. Any meal that makes you sleepy is a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    To date, I've managed to lose 25 pounds & keeping it OFF too.
    Nothing to add to what has been suggested, but that is huge! Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast