View Poll Results: Have you ever used douche?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never used it.

59 92.19%
  • Yes, used it a couple times.

5 7.81%
  • Yes, use it regularly.

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Have you used douche?

DD2 learned about douche today in her 5th grade Family Life Education class. She said the teacher, an older woman who has this class a long time, showed them a bottle and said it is sometimes a good idea to do. I was astounded. I didn't think douches were popular anymore and in fact thought medical professionals think douching cause more problems than they solve. I don't think occasional use is terrible, but I think it's better to skip douche all together.

So, a poll. Have you ever used douche? Do you think it's an ok product to use occasionally? Why do people use it? Can't you just shower or wash?

I have never used douche in my life, never seen the inside of a box, not really sure exactly how it all works, and think DD2 must now know more about it than me!
    Last edited by american_mama; 04-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I find that really surprising. I teach human growth and development to 5th graders and that's definitely not part of our curriculum!
    Green Tea, mom to three

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I buy it to be ripped open for the deskunking of the dog. It is the correct concentration of Iodine to break the thiol bond in skunk odor. Other than that, I did not know people actually used it anymore. They must though, it is easy to buy at the store (lots of it). I know, it takes 15 boxes to deskunk a newfoundland. Based on the amount in drugstores, it must be sold (deskunking can't account for the shear number of boxes sold), and used regularly.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

I honestly would have said they don't even make it anymore. Unlike Trales, I don't remember seeing it in stores.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

No! I've always heard it's a bad idea. The vagina is self-cleaning. That's crazy that the teacher is still teaching about douches. I'd be tempted to contact someone (not sure who) with a copy of an article saying that douching is not recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I would contact the school on that one since it is a health issue and not human sexuality issue and she is dead wrong and out of line. That is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Never used it. Don't think my mom ever used it so of course didn't intro it to me. I do see a ton of it in the stores in my area. but like you all have always heard it's not good for you.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No, never used one. Definitely not needed and possibly harmful. Clean the outside with warm water, that's all. I would ask your Dr to talk with DD about it if she send to think it is a good idea, and contact the teacher.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No I have never bought one. I rinse with cold water from a bottle and it is great. I never did it though until I had DD1 and came home from the hospital with a bottle to rinse. I did have to use FDS when I was pregnant with DD1.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I never have but it was definitely popular several decades ago. My mom is 59 and used to douche regularly probably up until 10 years ago. Everything I've ever read has said it is not healthy to douche.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast