JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone know about the MTHFR gene mutation?

So, as I posted in another thread I am having a hard time finding a dr I think is good. Recently I saw a nurse practitioner. In discussing my familial hx of early heart attacks she said I could have a gene mutation called MTHFR. She said that if I used 23andme (which I had happened to have already used) I could plug my results into a website called genetic genie to see if I had this mutation. Well, lo and behold I supposedly have this mutation along with another related mutation, although they are heterozygous which is not as serious as if they were homozygous.

Since I had 23andme done for my dd also, I plugged in her results. Keep in mind she is adopted, so no biological/gene relationship. Turns out she is homozygous for MTHFR and doesnt have the related gene mutation. Of course, I think its odd that we would both have this with no gene connection.

I could go on and on, but wondering if anyone knows about this. there is lots of info on-line from saying it is quackery to saying you can have serious/necessary life improvements by taking certain supplements. Thank you!
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-27-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have that, but I've come across it mentioned a lot on blogs / forums about Paleo / clean eating as many people feel this way of eating helped them manage their issues with this. Just something to maybe look into?