Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default OMG...He WON'T WAKE UP!!!!!

Teens need to sleep much more and comes on all of a sudden. Our city just changed the public middle schools to start later because of the research on this. 6:15 is crazy early for our household of any age and can't imagine leaving the house by 7:15 either. The medical research is real and though we do an independent school it doesn't start crazy early and the public schools shifted an entire district of a major city. It's not his fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ADHD DH is awful with alarm clocks. He's much, much better than he was at 20. He slept through fire alarms in his dorm. It seems my DS has inherited this, and he's not a teen yet. I have to go stand in his room and make him get up and stand up and start moving. Anyway, it's not just the ADHD meds. It's one of the issues with ADHD.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My oldest one who is 12 isn't like this but my 10yo Ds2 is. He is impossible to wake up. In the mornings I usually go around opening doors, tickling kids, telling them to wake up and slowly put on their clothes which I have laid next to them on the bed (they wear a uniform so it's always the same). This works with almost everyone except DS2 who is super grumpy and sleepy in the morning. I have to pull his feet out from under the com era, swing them around to the edge of the bed, pull on his arms to get him to set Joan's then tell him we are going to the bathroom while I walk with my hand under his arm. Then After he pees he heads back to his room where I remind him to put on his clothes several time and then he can climb into bed. That is the only guaranteed way to get him moving in the morning. So frustrating.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    My ADHD DH is awful with alarm clocks. He's much, much better than he was at 20. He slept through fire alarms in his dorm. It seems my DS has inherited this, and he's not a teen yet. I have to go stand in his room and make him get up and stand up and start moving. Anyway, it's not just the ADHD meds. It's one of the issues with ADHD.
    And with teens without ADHD!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS is going through this too. He will lay in bed and not be able to fall asleep. It can be very frustrating for him. I do think it's a normal developmental stage. He doesn't use electronics on school nights, he'll read for a while before bedtime, we quiet the house down, sometimes I'll make him a warm drink or play George Winston's soft piano music... and he still can't go to sleep. One thing that helps is if I sit in the room and slow my breathing down. That usually helps him drift off. But do check that your DS isn't sneaking a phone or reading under the covers. Many of the kids I work with do that. They'll share stories about chatting with each other until the early a.m. Their parents have no idea. They hide the phone under the covers and pretend to be asleep until their parents go to bed. (Hence, my DS has to keep his phone in the living room.)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    The only thing that guarantees that DS1 (13 in Aug) will wake up on his own is going to bed early. If he's in bed by 8:30 or 8:45pm he'll wake up on his own with his alarm, but if he's in bed past 9pm he won't. I'm super strict about my kids sleep schedules as getting enough sleep is soooo important in kids. It effects everything they do, their demeanor, etc.
    I soo agree with this! Our DS1 is the same age as yours (13 in Aug as well). He's in bed at the same time too. Both our kids have always had pretty strict bedtimes during the year - partly because they wake so early for school and partly because they play hockey and really need their rest. Bedtimes are anywhere between 8 and 8:45 pm for both our 11 and soon-to-be 13 year old. We wake them up at 6 am and leave the house at 7 am. School starts early for them, so no choice in the matter. But we are strict even on the weekends. Rarely past 9.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No help with teen/tween slugabeds, but every time I see the subject line pop up, I expect the responses to be "call 911 now!!"

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

I still have to wake up my 13y son and 10.5y daughter. Usually I need to shake them or put my abnormally cold hands on their backs. DD has always been a heavy sleeper (never slept through the night as a baby but once she finally did she's a heavy sleeper). DS was always up at 6AM with no alarm but once he hit middle school he had a harder time.

DD1 has adhd and has sleeping issues. From the way your post read to me it sounds like a talk with the doc managing his adhd might be in order. We had to readjust dd's meds and now she takes melatonine and intuniv in the evening. It's helps a lot, sleep is still an issue for us without the intuniv so i feel your pain. The pp's are right, he needs a lot more sleep than he's getting. Adhd is frustrating at times. Good luck.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 just turned 13 today and slept in till 1:30pm lol! School starts on Tues so back to early bedtimes he goes! He's been watching the Olympics every night with me till 12:30am or later!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast