Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default OMG...He WON'T WAKE UP!!!!!

13yo DS is NOT waking up in the AM's. He has the most obnoxious alarm clock...and he sleeps through it for 45-60 minutes!!! I am not sure if this is a "my kid's ADHD and/or meds are keeping him awake at night and he finally crashes in the middle of the night" thing or if he is just a teen who loves sleep. Either way, he is ruining our AM routine in a BIG way. What gets your kids up in the morning ON THEIR OWN?? We have cowbells and I have a pretty loud yell BUT I REALLY want him to wake on his own. Please help!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Still waking up both kids--13 yo DS and 11 yo DD. They turn alarms off, mess them up, etc etc. some day....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Default OMG...He WON'T WAKE UP!!!!!

When I was a teenager, nothing could wake me. No alarm or combinations of alarms could do the job. My dad used to come in several times each morning and wake me, but I'd just go back to sleep. The only way I would wake up is if I was physically removed from my bed and walked into the bathroom! In college I was able to wake to an alarm, but I only had one class that met before 10am whereas high school started very early. I do absolutely remember really not being able to wake. I wasn't trying to be annoying. I really could not wake up! And I don't have ADHD, though I was an insomniac into my early 30s.

ETA: In boarding school as an older teen I was able to wake, but again, the hours were more sane, and I had a room full of girls making noise around me. I also had enforced early nights, so even though I was up late, I was up less late than I had been at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 04-28-2016 at 12:37 PM.

When I wouldn't get up to an alarm clock my parents got me one of these (this style, not this exact one): http://www.amazon.com/A2S-Vintage-St...ll+alarm+clock

I don't remember how well it worked, but it was crazy loud and annoying.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What time are you trying to get him up in the morning? There is a huge body of medical research showing that teens are wired to go to bed late and wake up late ~ their circadian rhythms shift to a later sleep pattern. If this is what's going on with your DS, you're trying to wake him up from a deep sleep. There's some really great information about this from the Start School Later organization, BTW: http://www.startschoollater.net/why-change.html They're trying to help school districts shift start times later for high school and middle school.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    When I wouldn't get up to an alarm clock my parents got me one of these (this style, not this exact one): http://www.amazon.com/A2S-Vintage-St...ll+alarm+clock

I don't remember how well it worked, but it was crazy loud and annoying.
    Thank you!! I need to look into this style again. My daughter currently has one and it vibrates off the table and turns off. We used to have a very loud alarm of this style...thank you for reminding me!!!!
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    What time are you trying to get him up in the morning? There is a huge body of medical research showing that teens are wired to go to bed late and wake up late ~ their circadian rhythms shift to a later sleep pattern. If this is what's going on with your DS, you're trying to wake him up from a deep sleep. There's some really great information about this from the Start School Later organization, BTW: http://www.startschoollater.net/why-change.html They're trying to help school districts shift start times later for high school and middle school.
    That is interesting...certainly makes sense. He goes to bed about 9p (any earlier is tough, plus he is not sleepy). He sets his alarm for 6:15 (I don't know why) but will still be sleeping at 7:15, when he needs to leave for the bus. We have tried setting his Alarm for 6:45 but that didn't help. 6:45 would be fantastic because it would hopefully give him a little time to wake up and get hungry...but nope.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As oneplustwo says, there's solid research that teenagers absolutely need more sleep - like babies - their bodies are going through such profound and rapid changes. It's not just him!

for Sandy Hook

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have to get my 12-yo up, she is a night owl and does her best but she will not get up on her own. Luckily school doesn't start until 845, so she sleeps until 730 and gets on the bus at 815.

I woke up on my own when I was a teen, but I had some serious big hair to prepare every day and it literally took me an hour. Obviously I had my priorities straight.

He doesn't have his phone in his room at night does he? Seems like 9 is a great time to go to bed, but maybe he's not sleeping then.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The only thing that guarantees that DS1 (13 in Aug) will wake up on his own is going to bed early. If he's in bed by 8:30 or 8:45pm he'll wake up on his own with his alarm, but if he's in bed past 9pm he won't. I'm super strict about my kids sleep schedules as getting enough sleep is soooo important in kids. It effects everything they do, their demeanor, etc.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast