Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Protein smoothie recipes?

As I mentioned in another thread, I need to get more protein in DD in the mornings. She is incredibly picky and doesn't eat well in the mornings, mostly she will eat a small carb and that's it.
    A few people mentioned smoothies; I think that may work. What are your favorites? How do I up the protein so it's not just a fruit and juice smoothie? If you use a protein powder, what is a good one? What ratios do you use? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Greek yogurt, chia seeds
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Greek yogurt, chia seeds
    For the chia seeds, how much? Do you soak them first? Do they alter the texture? DD doesn't like things with 'texture'.
    How much greek yogurt per juice/fruit. She doesn't like plain yogurt, so the taste would need to be hidden.
    Like I said, she is incredibly pick. Drives me crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do about a cup of plain greek yogurt, a handful of frozen berries, and a glug of milk or juice. If I do chia seeds I use no more than 1T. The chia seeds will make it very thick especially if it sits for a while, if you kid is a slow drinker like mine is. If that's the case I up the juice and lessen the chia.

Other things I've thrown in:

avocado...makes it very creamy and smooth but doesn't impart a flavor
    peanut butter...sometimes my kids like a pb&j flavor, or instead of berries I throw in a banana and pb.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I do about a cup of plain greek yogurt, a handful of frozen berries, and a glug of milk or juice. If I do chia seeds I use no more than 1T. The chia seeds will make it very thick especially if it sits for a while, if you kid is a slow drinker like mine is. If that's the case I up the juice and lessen the chia.

Other things I've thrown in:

avocado...makes it very creamy and smooth but doesn't impart a flavor
    peanut butter...sometimes my kids like a pb&j flavor, or instead of berries I throw in a banana and pb.
    How much peanut butter would you add?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    How much peanut butter would you add?
    Hmmm I think a dollop. So like a tablespoon. It really imparts flavor so I don't use too much unless the kids want a PB only smoothie.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I don't like the taste of yogurt at all, and have never successfully finished a smoothie made with one. I have been using chocolate Tera's Whey (20g of protein in two scoops) to make smoothies and LOVE the flavor. I use almond milk (but have also used whole milk and it tastes even better), half a banana fro sweetness, a big dollop of PB (probably 1.5 tablespoons) and ice. It's DELICIOUS! Lots of protein and healthy fat to keep a kiddo full.

http://simplyteras.com/products/organic-dark-chocolate/

ETA: I don't love fruit, but if your DD does, they also make a vanilla powder that would probably be good with berries. The powder has very little sugar in it, so adding fruit to sweeten it up is a must.
    Last edited by Green_Tea; 05-02-2016 at 05:27 PM.
    Green Tea, mom to three

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Protein smoothie recipes?

I add chia seeds. 5 gram protein in two tbsp, but lots of fiber and vitamins and minerals too. Also, ice is bad for blender blades. I freeze the bananas and all fruit to give it the chill.
    Last edited by abh5e8; 05-05-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I also add in 1/2 avocado for a boost of fat since I don't use dairy milk and has a little protein and other vitamins/minerals. Adds a bit of creaminess too.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My daughter, who is very picky, likes this smoothie:

one container of chobani strawberry banana yogurt (2% fat, so more filling)
    about 5 frozen straberries
    a handful of frozen rasberries
    half a frozen banana
    water

It's really yummy, and the greek yogurt adds protein. I don't add chia seeds, though she might not mind them. But this, she happily drinks.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast