Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My 15 yr is still that way. He has ADD. No meds but he does see a therapist regulary. He's very much like this. Some days are better than others. When it's wrestling season his mood swings are less, I think the intense exercising tires him out.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    As ADHD kids move into MS, and especially HS, it is common for them to need an afternoon booster, even if they did not need one in ES. The demands on their ability to concentrate later in the day are just much higher.

My older DD is now in HS and she never needed an afternoon booster for ES or MS (but many kids do). But HS is a new ballgame. If she takes an afternoon booster, she can get her HW done easily and in a focused way. If she doesn't then she can struggle for hours with the same set of work.

Long term projects can be especially challenging for ADHD kids, even more so if there is a bit of anxiety in there as well. We have an organizational coach who comes to work with her one day each weekend, to help her plan out her work for the week and make a weekly plan of what she needs to get done. Sure this something we could do with her, but it would be a huge battle. She and the coach get it done in 20 minutes. They spend the remaining time working on specific skills like note taking, study techniques, etc.

Meds have not really affected older DD's appetite, but it is very common. I would try to make sure he eats a big breakfast, has a big afternoon snack, and perhaps even a pre-bedtime snack.
    Just saying that I LOVE the idea of an organizational coach!! Going to look into this for my 13yo.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You've gotten some good advice, I would add for you to ask him what he wants his life to look like.

He's 13, he's got the internal experience of knowing what he is like on and off meds. He sees his peers. Maybe he wants to be more organized. Maybe he looks around and sees his peers and goes, no, I'm good. What does he want his normal to look like? Some kids are fine with being different, some kids it bothers a lot, most are somewhere in between. So much depends on his support in and outside the house. As a parent I think I have a right to set down certain expectations, but I also think as a 13 yo my son can make some decisions on his own. I got 5 years to get him ready for adulthood. So much of my decisions now come down to is this really going to help him in the long run or am I forestalling something? Not everyone is going to have the same philosophy, but that's OK.

wfmom is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to thank everyone for their input. We are starting the process of having my 11 year old son evaluated for ADHD. He is doing very well in school, although now that he's started middle school and I've become more educated on ADHD, I'm noticing more indicators. Our most significant issues currently are at home, similar to what the previous posters listed. My husband is skeptical about whether it's ADHD and thinks most of the problems can be fixed with more discipline (i.e. punishment) on our part. It's helpful to read about others' experiences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2