Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS is 9 and I just can't imagine. He doesn't even truly understand death yet and I'm not sure if he knows what suicide is.

There is a term I heard recently called impulse suicide. Although in this case I don't think it applies because I don't think a 9 year old can really understand suicide. I heard about impulse suicide from the Dad of a local teen who committed suicide. He felt his son acted on impulse and truly didn't think through the finality of his actions. This father's message was to talk to your kids about suicide and make sure they understand that there is always another option. I have not talked to my kids yet and until now felt I had a few years until I needed to.

This is also a huge example of why we need to monitor and limit kids Internet use.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    My DS is 9 and I just can't imagine. He doesn't even truly understand death yet and I'm not sure if he knows what suicide is.

There is a term I heard recently called impulse suicide. Although in this case I don't think it applies because I don't think a 9 year old can really understand suicide. I heard about impulse suicide from the Dad of a local teen who committed suicide. He felt his son acted on impulse and truly didn't think through the finality of his actions. This father's message was to talk to your kids about suicide and make sure they understand that there is always another option. I have not talked to my kids yet and until now felt I had a few years until I needed to.

This is also a huge example of why we need to monitor and limit kids Internet use.
    i heard of that too and i think that explains why so many more boys do it vs. girls..they tend to act more on impulses without really thinking things through. and with teenager's brains still so immature re: impulse control...scary what can happen.

there was one story i read about last year where a 12yo boy shot himself with his dad's gun. from what it sounded like, it was a total impulse thing (wasn't depressed, etc)..earlier that day at school, this boy (who was straight A student, never got in trouble) said something bad about the principal and his friends teased him that he was going to get into trouble for it. then he left school and found his father's gun and shot himself. it was pretty disturbing/sad..sounds like example of kids just acting on quick impulse. (found link: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...know/80583530/)

anyway, stories like this is one of the many, many reasons i'm for stricter gun control. The NRA and gun lobby make it sound like only "crazies" or serial murderers get their hands on guns, but in reality, it's mostly "normal" law-abiding people (many of them children/teens) who get their hands on guns and act on a fleeting impulse. I think many people mistakenly think that older kids know better not to touch guns but if anything it could be worse.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-30-2016 at 08:55 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Today on NPR: "Suicide rates climb in US, especially among adolescent girls"
    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...olescent-girls

I gotta say this is absolutely gnawing at me - the national trend, the heartbreaking suicide of my friend's DD and having an impulsive, mood-swingy and already rebellious 10 year old DD (and with a history of female suicide in DHs family).

I'd love any suggestions for reading material, classes, parenting practices that help to increase the openness of dialogue between parents and tweens/young teens, build trust, support kinder discipline (I feel I'm always scolding/saying no and DDs reactions are getting more and more disproportionate to what I say - unstoppable tears and "I'll run always" several times a week, etc.) I don't want to hijack this thread so I could start a new one on tween-parent relationship if that's preferred. Thanks.

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2