Unhappy P & PTs for a sweet woman (loss mentioned)

Just found out that DD's wonderful piano teacher suffered a serious stroke a few days ago and died today. She was only in her 40s, I believe, and has 4 children; the oldest is a freshman in college, across the country. She was such an awesome woman and teacher; we saw her every week and looked forward to having DD keep taking lessons from her. I'm in shock and can't believe she's gone. And I feel so terrible for her family. She had a living will and donated her organs right away. She had a beautiful, fun, quirky soul, and I just wanted to ask for any prayers and positive thoughts you could send up for her and her family.

DD is 7 and has lost a grandma (DH's mom) last year, but she was quite a bit older, with numerous health problems so it was more a matter of when, not if, she was going to pass away, and we didn't see her as often as we saw her piano teacher. Our whole family, of course, went to my MIL's funeral and burial.
    Not sure how to tell DD, and if we should have her go to a visitation or funeral? I'd like to go to pay my respects, at least.

Thank you for reading...
    Last edited by ourbabygirl; 05-01-2016 at 11:52 PM.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Aw, huge hugs. What a terrible loss. My DD is awfully sensitive and finds that she needs a funeral for major losses like this. We made the mistake about not taking her to the funeral of a loved one when she was your DDs age thinking she would be too emotional and for our family that is a regret. If we had introduced the unexpected loss with enough time for her to process it before the funeral, she would have been okay at the service and gotten needd closure

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm another one who thinks funerals are needed for closure, and would take your daughter, as it may help her feel like she is doing something to honor the life of her sweet teacher. But, you know your daughter best.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I'm so sorry. That is just terrible. I wouldn't take a seven year old unless they expressed desire to go. I would attend but without the kids. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, she was young. What a sad loss. I would take a 7 year old to a funeral HOWEVER, I wouldn't take her up to the casket. She won't understand and she might have a very hard time processing it (this is from my personal experience of seeing my grandparents in their caskets- I can still picture it. ).

Ill definitely say prayers for her- what is her first name?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks, Everyone. Her name was Anne.