Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Any BTDT Focalin XR?

A follow up to this http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ate-in-2-amp-6
    After meeting with DD psychologist and some very annoying back and forth with her ped, we are going to try DD on Focalin XR 5 mg. Any BTDT? Hopefully it goes better with than the Evekeo.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS takes this (11.5yo, 6th grade). He started almost 2 years ago, I believe on 10mg, recently upped to 15mg. I think I posted about it recently, but he has done wonderful on it. We were very lucky that this was the first med he tried and we had no problems with it. He did initially have major loss of appetite, which was a concern because he is small. That has subsided over time. He still has some, but not as severe and he has stayed on his growth curve. We have learned to deal with it by trying to get him to eat bigger breakfasts and allowing snacking in the evening (focusing on healthier/protein foods so he is getting good calories). He also had some difficulty falling asleep for the first month or so. It does not seem to affect him at all now, although overall he goes to bed later. He did not have any mood or anxiety issues, he is not withdrawn, and no tics. I really feel blessed to have found a med that works so quickly, as I know it can be a difficult process. I hope it works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by bnme; 05-11-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

DD (11, 5th grade) has taken this all year. She's on a 15 mg dose and does well with it. It does curb her lunchtime appetite, but not as much as some of the meds we've tried. So far, it seems to be working without too many side effects.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    DD (11, 5th grade) has taken this all year. She's on a 15 mg dose and does well with it. It does curb her lunchtime appetite, but not as much as some of the meds we've tried. So far, it seems to be working without too many side effects.
    Thanks.
    DD is on 5mg, today is day 5. Appetite is fine. That was the side effect I was prepared for. The mood swings, not so much. Yesterday she was awesome. Today, awful. Raging tantrums and fits about EVERYTHING! I don't know if this is just not a good med for her or if the dose needs adjusting or what.
    I am so exhausted from this. I can't even send her to my mom's for a break, because when she comes back she is even worse.
    I have locked myself in my room for a 'timeout' twice today.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Thanks.
    DD is on 5mg, today is day 5. Appetite is fine. That was the side effect I was prepared for. The mood swings, not so much. Yesterday she was awesome. Today, awful. Raging tantrums and fits about EVERYTHING! I don't know if this is just not a good med for her or if the dose needs adjusting or what.
    I am so exhausted from this. I can't even send her to my mom's for a break, because when she comes back she is even worse.

We experienced the raging tantrums with Focalin and Vyvanse. Concerta is in the same family as those two and we do NOT have the awful temper tantrums but we do have reduced appetite and heightened OCD. But otherwise the Concerta has been the best fit for him.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks.

We had issues like that with Aderall. However, Focalin XR has worked well for my kid. Do the mood swings occur when the meds are wearing out or throughout the day? I think changes in mood are usual when the meds start wearing out, especially when kids first start taking it. However, if she is moody and throws tantrums through the day, I would think that Focalin is not the right med. Having said that if this has only happened 1 day out of the 5, I would try it for another day or two to see what happens.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, is the rage an all day every day thing? Or only towards the end of the day?

If it is only at the end of the day, she may adjust to it. But if it is all day every day, that's different.

Are your working with a ped or a psychiatrist?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Yes, is the rage an all day every day thing? Or only towards the end of the day?

If it is only at the end of the day, she may adjust to it. But if it is all day every day, that's different.

Are your working with a ped or a psychiatrist?
    The rage was all day today, it was awful! The first day on it was pretty good but HORRIBLE rebound. No issues with rebound since. Day two was ok, not too bad, but not great. Day three was like she usually it, I saw no change either positive or negative. Day 4, awesome! Wish everyday was like day 4. Today was day 5, and like I said, she was raging, hyper, and agitated all day. I am currently working with her ped but I am going to talk to her psychologist about a psychiatrist. To add to the 'fun', DH just started a new job so we are going to have a gap in insurance next month. I really want this sorted out before she starts kindergarten in August.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The rage was all day today, it was awful! The first day on it was pretty good but HORRIBLE rebound. No issues with rebound since. Day two was ok, not too bad, but not great. Day three was like she usually it, I saw no change either positive or negative. Day 4, awesome! Wish everyday was like day 4. Today was day 5, and like I said, she was raging, hyper, and agitated all day. I am currently working with her ped but I am going to talk to her psychologist about a psychiatrist. To add to the 'fun', DH just started a new job so we are going to have a gap in insurance next month. I really want this sorted out before she starts kindergarten in August.

I just wanted to add that even if you get things settled for her at home this summer, you may find you need to tweak her medication once she starts school. We were frequently surprised by ways DS3's teacher said he was behaving. He didn't act that way while in the meds at home. For example, he only went into a terrible raging tantrum one time that we saw. But his teacher who we have known for years (she taught all out kids) said it was happening daily. It was because of her reports that we stopped the Focalin. Also, there were symptoms of his anxiety and heightened OCD that he only displayed at school.

Next year, let the teacher know you are still trying to find the right med and dosage and ask her to report back to you frequently to help ensure your DD is successfully acclimating to kindergarten. MMaybe offer to do behavior reports daily or weekly. And ask if you can email her so you can give her a heads up about a new med and potential side effects. It really benefits everyone to stay in touch.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-16-2016 at 11:52 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

OMG! Horrible again today. I am not going to to give it to her tomorrow. Not sure how I am going to get through today! I can't take much more of this!

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast