Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default High calorie, high protein snack for picky kid

DS1 (6.5) started swim team about 1.5 months ago, and ever since he is insatiably hungry after swim practice. He's very distractible, so it's difficult for him to sit and eat a meal during the eat. He will eat a small meal before practice, but after he wolfs down the following: string cheese, yoghurt stick, applesauce cup, fruit, and a bag of pretzels (or another carby snack.). This is all while waiting for big sister to finish and in the car. When we get home, he's still hungry and will whine for food for the next 30+ min when he should be sleeping. We will give him a small dessert plus cheese and crackers. I feel like he must eat 50% of his calories after swim. (And he gets out of the pool at 7:30). He usually has yogurt and a multi grain waffle for breakfast, and he struggles to finish lunch at school because he'd rather socialize than eat.

Any ideas for snacks or food that's easy to eat on the go? He won't eat eggs, meat sticks, or nuts (including nut butters). He's so-so with granola bars (only the basic ones with chocolate chips.). I'm at a loss.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We like cubes or slices of hard cheeses (think cheddar, Dubliner from Costco) with whole grain crackers - I think the hard cheeses may have slightly more protein? For yogurt we always do Greek (much higher protein content). Check labels though because not everything labeled as "Greek" is really high-protein! Compare to Fage. Don't buy the 0% fat - you want some fat in there!

Granola mixed into yogurt is good and filling. What about a whole grain tortilla with cream cheese and shredded carrots inside? Or a bean and cheese burrito (refried beans, cheese) which tastes fine even when cold? What about protein bars (we don't do these so not sure of brands but I'm sure there are some good ones)?

Will he eat salami? My kids love salami and cheese on a cracker or sandwich or crostini or whatever! Would he eat deviled eggs? Or an "egg mcmuffin" (whole grain english muffin with egg and cheese)? Roasted chickpeas?

Good luck! Sounds very tough!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    We like cubes or slices of hard cheeses (think cheddar, Dubliner from Costco) with whole grain crackers - I think the hard cheeses may have slightly more protein? For yogurt we always do Greek (much higher protein content). Check labels though because not everything labeled as "Greek" is really high-protein! Compare to Fage. Don't buy the 0% fat - you want some fat in there!

Granola mixed into yogurt is good and filling. What about a whole grain tortilla with cream cheese and shredded carrots inside? Or a bean and cheese burrito (refried beans, cheese) which tastes fine even when cold? What about protein bars (we don't do these so not sure of brands but I'm sure there are some good ones)?

Will he eat salami? My kids love salami and cheese on a cracker or sandwich or crostini or whatever! Would he eat deviled eggs? Or an "egg mcmuffin" (whole grain english muffin with egg and cheese)? Roasted chickpeas?

Good luck! Sounds very tough!
    Exactly what I would suggest. Also, when you get home and you don't want to feed him a real meal, but he's still hungry, how about a banana cut up in milk? A friend suggested it to me recently. It's a high sugar/carb snack, for sure, but it's easily digestible and not unhealthy at all, unlike granola bars. My kids LOVE it, and it's easy to prepare and eaten quickly. A banana is also a good choice for a snack before swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Turkey bologna is a hit here. Either rolled with cheese (Swiss or Muenster) or plain. We are getting to the point where we are doing more real food after school versus traditional snack food. Frozen pizza, TJs orange chicken, quesadillas or grilled cheese/tomato soup are common after school choices these days. I think you should consider doing dinner food after swim.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Cheese quesadillas travel well and will hold good fillings. We have had good luck with meals like rice/chicken/veggies+cheese on top, chili, or pasta dishes (mac+cheese, pestso noodles, etc) traveling in a large thermos. Swimming makes my kids ravenous and cold, so having a hot meal available was a must.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Thanks for the suggestions. I think part of his problem is that he refuses to eat much during the day because he'd rather play, and then after swim, his body realizes how hungry he is and he's ravenous. I will try bringing a thermos with warm food for him. He has about 20 min to wait until his big sister is done swimming, then a 10 min car ride home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ham and cheese
    turkey and cheese
    cheese and crackers
    greek yogurt is awesome (agree with pp Fage is awesome)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It sounds like you've gotten some awesome suggestions. I'd try to use the hunger in my favor and see if he'd be more open to trying foods he might not otherwise try during that time. Maybe he'd be more open to a meat stick or nuts at that time.

That's a lot of sugar and carbs and not much fat or protein. The yogurt sticks are high in sugar and low in fat. Cheese sticks are usually low fat too. If he's only eating carbs at breakfast and carbs after swim followed by dessert and carbs at home, he's not getting the fat and protein he needs. I'd bring him an actual dinner to eat in the car, something high in fat and protein. Making your own yogurt with full fat Greek (my kids prefer Trader Joes) will be better than the flavored sticks. Make a really packed smoothie with full fat Greek, coconut oil, maybe sneak in some nut butter or protein powder?

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Will he eat oatmeal? It works great in a thermos and you can mix a lot of extras into it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast