Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Lots of great ideas already. Will he eat edamame? Garbanzo beans or kidney beans that you lightly salt?

It sounds like he's hungry enough to eat a full solid meal, and instead is eating lots of little snacks. How about bringing a sandwich or a wrap along with you? Filled with whatever healthy proteins he might enjoy. Or any other easily portable dinner. Think meal, not snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    It sounds like he's hungry enough to eat a full solid meal, and instead is eating lots of little snacks. How about bringing a sandwich or a wrap along with you? Filled with whatever healthy proteins he might enjoy. Or any other easily portable dinner. Think meal, not snacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the same thing. I'd be packing dinner.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Why not pack him dinner instead of all the snacks? My DD does a dance class from 7-8pm. She has a snack before going but I pack dinner that she eats after class because I do a fitness dance class there from 8-9pm. We usually use a food jar and pack her portion of dinner, like pasta or lentils with rice. This week she had Swedish meatballs in the food jar and packed herself some raw sugar snap peas, grapes, and string cheese to go with them.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyBee View Post
    That's a lot of sugar and carbs and not much fat or protein. The yogurt sticks are high in sugar and low in fat. Cheese sticks are usually low fat too. If he's only eating carbs at breakfast and carbs after swim followed by dessert and carbs at home, he's not getting the fat and protein he needs. I'd bring him an actual dinner to eat in the car, something high in fat and protein.

I totally agree. If it were my starving DD, I'd give her a hunk of protein and no carbs: sliced up grilled chicken breast (no bun) or turkey burger patty (no bun). or a can of beans. ETA: maybe cottage cheese.

For breakfast or snack, I often make baked oatmeal that my dd devours. it's healthier than store-bought granola bars. I use applesauce instead of butter and add flax meal. they are very portable!
    Last edited by fauve01; 05-20-2016 at 12:32 PM.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Will he eat a wrap? Hormel makes the high protein "rev wraps" that might help get something a little more substantial in his system. http://www.hormel.com/Brands/HormelRevWraps.aspx

It would be easy enough to make something like this yourself, too, rather than buying premade.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    I totally agree. If it were my starving DD, I'd give her a hunk of protein and no carbs: sliced up grilled chicken breast (no bun) or turkey burger patty (no bun). or a can of beans. ETA: maybe cottage cheese.

For breakfast or snack, I often make baked oatmeal that my dd devours. it's healthier than store-bought granola bars. I use applesauce instead of butter and add flax meal. they are very portable!

Kids, especially athletic ones, should have some carbs. I would include some complex carbs with the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    Kids, especially athletic ones, should have some carbs. I would include some complex carbs with the meal.
    yep I know. but the OPs kid had a lot of carbs already. that's what I wrote "if it were my starving dd" (who had had carbs all day), I would skip more carbs in favor of more filling protein.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    sure!

ETA: when I make them with chocolate chips, I only use 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled oats
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    ¼ - ½ cup flax meal (optional)
    1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs
    ½ cup melted butter (or ½ c. nonsweetened applesauce)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ cup dried berries (or ¼ c. mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, flax, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients:milk, eggs, melted butter or applesauce, and vanilla extract. Fold wet into dry ingredients.Stir in dried berries or chocolate chips. Spread into a 9x13-inch oiled baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. After they cool, cut into bars, and store in a covered container on the counter. Enjoy!

Adapted from:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-oatmeal-ii/detail.aspx

Last edited by fauve01; 05-24-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: edit recipe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast